X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yelling back - getting fired - unemployment -CA PART II California

"Learn to read. The wording was past tense."

BTW GotSmart, I did read it and you did wrote it in present tense, go back and read it again, maybe you should learn how to write what you mean.

After re-reading the past thread, I realized that almost everybody was more upset that I yelled back, than the fact that bosses are being tyrants nowadays, it almost seem like it's OK to treat employees like slaves, with intimidation, power harassment, threats, all under a "legal" umbrella.

But what I said, I think it reflects what most employees feel today, including yours, oh I'm sure they will denied when asked, it's part of the intimidation game, but deep inside, what happened today here, is happening also in your offices.

I worked in the past for three years in Starbucks, as a general manager, if I'd yell or intimidate any employee, I would have been fired, and I've seen managers getting fired because of this.

Now I changed careers, but maybe for some of you who justified the yelling in the previous forums should see how long you last working for Starbucks, their main motto: "Treat everybody with respect and dignity"

and it's coming from one of the top 100 companies to work in the US by fortune magazine.
    Last edited by puig90; 06-23-2009, 06:51 PM.

Puig90, after observing your other thread, and then your statements in this one, all I can say is "no wonder you lost your job". Seriously.

We give free legal discussion. You attacked others because they brought the word "free" to your attention. Well, I'm not a lawyer, not a paralegal, but a former business owner.

From that experience, when I look at your interaction with others here, I see someone that I would consider irresponsible, untrustworthy, and a huge liability risk. Little to no interpersonal communications skills, aggressive, abusive, demanding, but little to no immediate threat. And I would not hire you based on that.

You are a guest here. It is expected of you to interact is a more appropriate manner. That means, none of the insults you slung already.

Now try thinking of it like this- how about I come to your mother's home and verbally abuse her and your uncles like you have the staff here? How would you feel? What would you think?

Well, the senior members you attacked are my fellow members, and while this is the internet, it is still our little "home" on the 'net. You asked a question, and it was answered. You apparently did not like the answer, so instead you stated attacking. Now, back to your mother....

I ask for a meal and your mother gives me a bowl of lasagna'. I eat it, but think it tastes awful. I tell her, and she comments "you asked for it, it's free, who are you to complain? Beggars cannot be choosers." I get upset and verbally berate her. You see this happen. How would you feel? What would you think?

Betty, Beth, GotSmart, TSC, Alice, those are my friends. And it offends me to see you behave in an ungrateful manner for the free discussion given you regarding your case. So I ask you to chill out and communicate in a civilized manner or get the hell out. This is a free service we're giving you, and if you don't like it, go away. No one is forcing you to take our advice or listen to us.

In the mean time, grow up and get a life. No one will hire you with the piss poor attitude you have exhibited. How you manage to get by is beyond me.

Think closely about what I said here, and have a good day.
    Last edited by cactus jack; 06-24-2009, 01:08 AM.
    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
    Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

wow Cactus, you really took your time writing this! I'll try my best too!

I wasn't fired though, it's just hypothetical.

Your analogy is almost perfect, but the boss I'm referring is not like your mother figure, I would put it more like a werewolf, and that changes the picture a little.

But reflecting on what you said, I think the theme here is questioning authority, because that was what happened here, a bunch of senior members got offended because their authorities got questioned, and that happened after they stopped answering the question, instead they started criticizing and judging the conduct, from a very biased point of view, and of course when I got back at them the howling started, but really, if my level was low, they stooped to it too.

I honestly think that screaming at your boss back after being yelled at is not the best solution, really, the previous post was too much fun and we all got carried away, but seriously, something needs to change, and they way to do it is with legislation, I strongly believe that an employee that is repeatedly mistreated, yelled at, verbally harassed, and intimidated with the prospective of a job loss if unable to satisfy wits of an employer, should have the legal right to walk out and collect unemployment at least, if not damages, because that's where it hurts the employer the most, and it's the only way things can change.
      Last edited by puig90; 06-24-2009, 02:07 AM.

Comment

If you want to see the laws changed, the way to do it is to lobby your elected representatives for the change. Yelling at us because we don't give you the answer you want to hear is not going to make the law any different.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by puig90 View Post

BTW GotSmart, I did read it and you did wrote it in present tense, go back and read it again, maybe you should learn how to write what you mean.

I have been an employee for 40 years, as well as run several businesses. I got my first paying job outside the home when I was 10 years old. I washed dishes for 90 cents an hour. $36.00 a week was what people made at the time. (Then there were taxes.)

Gentle poster, I am truly sorry if I did not communicate my meaning clearly. Let me dissect the sentence for you to help you to understand my meaning.

I have been an employee for 40 years, as well as run several businesses.

The whole paragraph is written in past tense. The bold portions are the qualifying words. The comma separates the parts of the sentences, which is why I used two different qualifiers. If I had meant to write it in the present tense, I would have worded it as such. "I am a 40 year employee that currently is running several business."

Perhaps for one such as yourself, I should have added "in the past" to give that sentence a double qualifier.

My apologies. I do tend to forget to target my communications to the level of the reader.
          Last edited by GotSmart; 06-24-2009, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Senior Members

For those of us who appreciate the knowledge and advice you give, thank you! This person is obviously not worth the aggrevation.

Comment

They are in a bad work situation, and does not understand how to deal with a bad boss.

You leave, and tell everyone not to apply there. To stay and take the abuse is not right. I have seen many places go under because their help leaves in the middle of a shift. The customers see what is going on, and do not come back. With no customers and help, the business goes under.

Blanket statements on employers and employees is not right. An interview is a time where the employee is also finding out if they want to work for the company. Not all people are the same.

Comment

Can we let this drop now please?
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Please let's do!

Comment

but before we drop it, one more thing, this whole thing with GotSmart about past & present tense is getting confusing.

This is what I'm referring to:

"Currently I have bills to pay, my wife is unemployed, and, in the past, I have been homeless with a family. There are ALWAYS options. You may not like them, but they are there. Yelling at the boss in not one of them."

I'm referring when I was told to learn how to read when I asked how come he has several businesses and his wife "is" unemployed.

No, it is in present tense, don't twist it!

Comment

He was stating the paragraph before the "Currently . . . " is past tense.

Comment

My apologies for the misunderstanding

Comment

CBG, now that the discussion is over, can I have my beer back? Please?
                          I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
                          Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
                          I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
                          Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

I suppose so. If you promise to behave.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
                              If you promise to behave.
                              You're expecting cactus jack to behave! (just kidding CJ)
                              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X