This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California: Cooperated With Investigation, Then Fired California

I am a young man who spent the last four years as an assistant store manager for a warehouse retailer. In the last year a young female manager was also hired and feeling threatened by my impending promotion to store manager began a campaign of lies against me. She would frequently call my district manager and report that I was handing out my employee discount to friends and former co-workers and that I spent most of my time flirting with the female staff both things I never did.

I called my district manager and refuted every charge against me and informed him of the inappropriate behavior she was engaging in. She worked part-time at a local strip club and would invite the staff to come see her perform, took employees to the adjacent bar and bought their alcohol, had sex or attempted to with several employees both male and female, and gave her employee discount to friends and former co-workers. My DM instructed me to provide a written statement with my name and contact information.

A week later he sent a regional manager to our store to collect statements from every employee. Our director of operations called me to ask what was going on in the store. A human resources representative called me and left a voicemail, then never returned my call.

One day after the voicemail both the female assistant and I were fired. My DM said, "I can't give you specifics." I called the human resources rep and she said she didn't return my call because she realized she didn't need to talk to me and I was fired because "people felt they couldn't do their jobs" with the two of us working there.

So my questions are, what happened and was this legal?

The answers are, we have no idea, and yes.

Sorry this was probably not what you wanted to hear, but with "at will employment", unless a specific law was violated in your discharge, it was legal. I don't see any law being violated.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Agree, based on your post, I see no illegal termination. You would have had to be terminated for a reason prohibited by law (such as age, religion, race) for it to have been an illegal/wrongful termination.

It might have been an unfair termination but it wasn't illegal. File an unemployment ins. claim.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

If you were a manager and allowed her to behave this way and did nothing to stop it until after she told on you, I would have to seriously question your ability to manage. Sorry but as manager part of your job should have been to make sure that inappropriate discounts were not being given out and that she wasn't seducing coworkers on the clock.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

People can and have been fired legally just for being too big a pain in the butt to upper management.

You apparently pegged your district manager's crap-o-meter on "Full" and it was enough.

Upper management is not a baby sitting service. Their job is to make money and, instead, they were dealing with two children telling bizarre stories.
          Last edited by cyjeff; 06-13-2009, 06:18 AM.
          Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Thread hijack.............welcome back, cyjeff!
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
              Thread hijack.............welcome back, cyjeff!
              Thanks, Patty....

Work has been insane.
              Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X