This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• at will in VA, hiring letter Virginia

Hi Everyone, I am very empressed with this site so far!

I have a question about what qualifes as a contract when it comes to verbal statements/hiring letter.

I was hired and fired in about 3 1/2 wks time. It was discussed over the phone that I would start off getting paid X amount and after 3 months of traing I would take a test and if I passed I would then be making X amount.

would this be an implied verbal agreement- since she in a sense implied that I would be there at least 3 months??

BUT in my hiring letter it basically said "you will get a starting pay of X amount, increasing to X amount upon sucessful completion of XYZ training"

would this be an impled written agreement since I would have to be there long enough to complete the training??

The hiring letter also states that they are an at-will employer and all new hires must work a 3 month probation period.

Also, when the manager that hired me (my bosses boss) came to help out at our center for a day she said "when I come back, I want to see that you have memorized xyz" (she came in from out of town) a few days later my direct boss fired me.

when she said "when I come back...." does that imply she expected to still have me employed at least until she got back in town?

Im not sure what if anything qualifies as a contract so any info/feedback is apprechiated!

Have a nice day.

Based on your post & at-will employment, I don't see anything that would require them to continue your employment for three months. (that is guaranteeing your employment for at least 3 mos.)

Why were you terminated?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Generally, offer letters are not found to rise to the level of a contract. Sorry. I dont see any require to pay you for 3 months or even keep you there for 3 months.
      I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Thank you both!

Betty03 I dont know why I was fired, she didnt give a reason exept for "at will".
        I am getting unemployment becasue of it.

My personal opinoion is that she was trying to gain respect (being that she is new as well) by throwing her wieght around, either way Im better off I think.

Comment

Ok, "at-will" should cover the termination. You are getting unemployment ins.

Good luck on finding another position.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X