X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demanding free overtime, Texas

I am paid hourly, full time @ 40 hours in an 'at will state'

that being said, there is memo's out in our office stating if we put overtime on our time cards we will be terminated. today the owner of the company sat me down and demanded i started working more overtime, for free, for being thankful that i have a job in this economy. if i do not comply, then he will fire me. what are my rights?

If you are an hourly non-exempt employee, you must be paid for all hours/time worked. If you aren't, put in a claim/complaint with the TWC.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

And if you are fired for refusing to work overtime for which the company has explicity stated you will not be paid, I'm seeing a possible wrongful termination suit as well, as a violation of public policy if nothing else.

What I recommend is that 1) you keep that memo, 2) you document any meetings and conversations regarding this issue, especially where you were told that you are to, essentially, commit time card fraud and that you will be fired if you do not do so, and 3) keep a record of all hours actually worked. All of this documentation should be kept at home.

And start looking for another job. Once you find one (if it's within, I think, 90 days), then you can file your claim with the TWC.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Texas Payday Law states that an employee who is not paid wages may file a wage claim with the Texas Workforce Commission within 180 days from the date the claimed wages became due for payment.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X