Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Admitting to your supersvisor that you have a substance abuse problem Florida

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Admitting to your supersvisor that you have a substance abuse problem Florida

    I recently approached my supervisor and let him know that I was having an alcohol problem. He referred me to the companies EAP progam. I did as directed and was counseled by the therapist that the EAP set me up with, the therapist wrote me a note out of work for a few weeks and suggested I get into an inpatient detox program. Are there any laws protecting me from being fired because I approached my company about my issues instead of them asking me if I had an issue. I am a top producer and no one noticed my drug problem, I just felt that my problem was getting out of control and I wanted to get some kind of help, and did not no where to turn. I opted out of our insurance plan like an idiot, so I am turning to community resources for help. What I need to know is if because I approached them with my problem will I be protected from being fired because they are going to find out I was using drugs. Also, will I be eligible for unemployment?

  • #2
    Your in an "at will" state so unless protected by law, cba or employment contract yes they can fire you. Far as UI benenfits its up to state to make that determination


    • #3
      Please also note these recent posts by OP - they all kind of go together,
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

      Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


      • #4
        An employee cannot be terminated BECAUSE they have a history of substance abuse trouble, and that includes asking for time off to go to rehab.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.