This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quit versus fired Oregon

On Tuesday my wife finished her shift at work and later that evening she received a call from her manager stating that for her scheduled shift on Thursday someone else would be working for her, and she would need to come in at 7:00 am for a meeting. Well this was somewhat of a red flag because in the 2 years my wife had worked for this company they had never done anything like this. So we talked it over and it seemed that it would be in her best interest to call and quit before possibly being fired.

On Wednesday the day before her "scheduled" meeting with her manager she called and gave the manager her notice of resignation. The manager accepted the resignation but still wanted my wife to come in the following morning to pick up her final check and turn in her ID card.

After this meeting that she had today the manager calls and says that she did not quit, she was terminated because the store and district managers had already made the decision to terminate prior to my wife submitting her resignation.

My question is since they did not inform my wife that she was to be terminated before she submitted her resignation did she in fact quit, or was she fired?

She doesn't want to file for unemployment she wants to be able to use the last 2 years with this company on her resume. It looks better saying that she quit instead of being fired when looking for a new job.

Comment

Right, but when she's sitting in an interview and they ask "why did you leave your last job?" isn't it better to say that she voluntarily left instead getting fired?

Comment

It might be better to say that, but if they find out otherwise, what has she gained? Her credibility at that point is zero!
        My opinions are just that and are not to be taken as legal advice.

Responses are based on life experience, personal research, and/or knowledge gained from the experts here.

Comment

Whether they decided to fire her or not, she told them she quit first and because she quit they never told her she was fired because she had already quit! Then after the meeting was over the manager called her on the phone and said "nope sorry you're fired" after already accepting her resignation. That just doesn't seem quite on the level to me.

Comment

Did they give her a reason as to why they fired her or does she have any idea why they would want to let her go?
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Either way, she's going to need to include this employer on her resume. A gap of two years would invite questions, anyway.

Honestly, I see it as a quit and if nothing else, she should document the events for her own records. Then, if the employer provides different information to a prospective employer, she would at least have the facts as they occurred, available to her.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I will have her write down what actually happened and I think I'll have her request a written statement of why she was terminated from her employer. Does anyone know if there is a law or statute that would determine if her employer can actually tell her she is fired after she resigned?

Comment

There is no law prohibiting an employer from saying, you can't quit, you're fired, or something like that, if that is what you are asking.
                  The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X