This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Benefits and Termination in Texas Texas Texas

I received a letter today from my employer stating my indirect position was eliminated and effective 10 September 2008 my employment is terminated. It goes on to state that "Your health and welfare benefits will terminate effective 10 September 2008. You may continue these benefits at your own expense pursuant to COBRA."
    I work in Texas.

Now my question is: Is it legal for them to terminate my benefits?

I read in this thread: http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showpost.php?p=937028&postcount=4
    that only in Texas it must be continued to the end of the month, but in a comment right before this it was stated that "they can cancel your health insurance effective with the end of your employment"

which one is correct?

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Last edited by EricMiles; 09-09-2008, 07:52 PM.

Texas legislation requires that health ins. be continued for an employee until the end of the month in which the health plan is notified that the person's eligibility for coverage has ceased.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

That is my understanding as well.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I looked online for statute or law that might indicate as such and could not find one. Do either of you have a reference? Any suggestions on how I should proceed? Do I need a lawyer?
        Thanks so much for your help!

Comment

I looked for 10 minutes and I couldn't find it either.

If no one has it, I'm sure if you contacted the Texas Insurance Commission, they could point you right to it.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Good advice. Thank you!

Comment

What I learned from talking to the Texas Dept of Insurance is that it is all dependent on permiums being paid. If permiums were paid through end of month then that is when I have coverage through. If premiums were only paid/deducted from my paycheck through today, then tha tis all the coverage I have.
              So I am off to research that angle

Comment

Originally posted by EricMiles View Post
                What I learned from talking to the Texas Dept of Insurance is that it is all dependent on permiums being paid. If permiums were paid through end of month then that is when I have coverage through. If premiums were only paid/deducted from my paycheck through today, then tha tis all the coverage I have.
                So I am off to research that angle
                No kidding? If you find the law, would you mind posting back with a link to it?

Thanks.

Comment

Here is some interesting reading:

https://www.firstcare.com/portals/br...fterrules3.pdf

(note re Senate bill 51)
                  Last edited by Betty3; 09-10-2008, 12:43 PM.
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
                    Here is some interesting reading:

https://www.firstcare.com/portals/br...fterrules3.pdf

(note re Senate bill 51)
                    Here is the link:

http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/rules/2006/0626-059.html
                    Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Final result:
                      Texas law does require coverage to end of month of termination with some exceptions. My company's health plan was one of those exceptions, so that is why it ended on date of termination. (Self-insured plan, versus a tradtional health plan).

So thank you to everyone for your help and hopefully this thread will help others in the future!

Comment

Thank you for coming back & sharing your findings.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                        Working...
                        X