This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demoting positions...Indiana Indiana

Our company is demoting 11 people from their postions.. With out reason given. These people will be losing 3.00 in pay. They are "bribing" some of them to move to different shifts to keep their postions. Is there any thing that can be done with this?

What is included in these "bribes"? Sometimes employers feel loyal to keep all employees on the payroll during difficult times, and the only option is to lower wages or reduce individual ranks (flatten the structure). I have found that it's better to lay off employees and offer a severance package than to demote dedicated workers. Where's the incentive to perform when you're getting paid less and there's limited upside to your position?

In any case, I believe this falls under most states' employment-at-will statute and is completely legal.
    Law Articles

Comment

The bribe is.. for me any way to keep my position move to 3rd shift. Or lose my position and get a different position with a 3.00 pay cut. And if we cant "keep up" with our new position then we will be fired.

Comment

I see nothing illegal here as long as the demotion/reduction in pay doesn't take anyone below minimum wage. They can also ask you to change shifts.

The only way it would be illegal is if they were discriminating against these 11 people due to a reason prohibited by law (ie age, religion, gender, race...).
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonlaw View Post
          Where's the incentive to perform when you're getting paid less and there's limited upside to your position?

Well, you have a job and SOME income coming in that you would not otherwsie have. Which the state UI agencies consider important.

In this economy, that's nothing to sneeze at.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X