This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mother in law fired me Wisconsin

My mother-in-law fired me a few weeks ago when my husband (her son) had a mental break....He took all of my home computers and my computer out of my office at work (she unlocked the door for him) and said that I'm poisoning him and my children. My mother-in-law told me and a deputy that I could come back to work when this is all worked out. That I'm not fired-I just can't come to work and I'm not getting paid. A couple of hours later, my father-in-law chased me down the road (with my kids in the van) to get the keys-I already talked to my mother-in-law about getting them back to me. At the emergency hearing regarding the kids...my husband and father in law stated that I quit (for the record-my husband ended up being committed).

Here's my problem...I had a contract, that disappeared from my house and they're claiming one never existed. I'm not looking for unemployment because I have another job-but they owe me 50k per the contract. They are also lying about whether I quit or was fired. AND they'be been saying things to customers that I knew (like I'm a prostitute and meth user-NOT TRUE). The other issue I have and had is that my mother in law refused to make my husband leave me alone at work. He would come in and yell at me in front of customers...even physically restraining me from being able to do my work. It got really bad at the end...and she would get mad at me for having to deal with my husband at work...but she wouldn't make him leave because it was her son. And he wouldn't leave when I told him to.

What legal recourse do I have....I'm very angry at this situation and my in-laws are used to getting what ever they want because they have money. What happened was not ok and I'm no longer going to allow these things to happen.

You will have to show the contract to an attorney in your state.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by ausi View Post
      Here's my problem...I had a contract, that disappeared from my house and they're claiming one never existed. I'm not looking for unemployment because I have another job-but they owe me 50k per the contract.
      It seems she no longer has the contract. Was the contract made up by an attorney who might have a copy?
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I understand that she does not have a copy of the contract, but that is, nonetheless, the legally correct answer. A message board cannot interpret the terms of a contract that may or may not exist, and that may or may not actually be a contract. No one can interpret the enforceability of a document they have not read.

Betty's suggestion is a good one, but without a copy of the contract you are pretty much up the creek. As far as the law is concerned, they may legally fire you, or put you on a leave of absence, and with limited exceptions they do not have to pay you when you do not work. Only someone who has READ the contract can tell you what additional rights you may have.

I'm not unsympathetic to your situation but there just is no way to determine what rights you have under a contract we have not read.

I suggest you talk to an attorney regardless of whether you have a copy of the contract or not, though; you may at least be able to prevent them from making the kinds of statements about you to the customers that you describe.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
          I understand that she does not have a copy of the contract, but that is, nonetheless, the legally correct answer. A message board cannot interpret the terms of a contract that may or may not exist, and that may or may not actually be a contract. No one can interpret the enforceability of a document they have not read.

Betty's suggestion is a good one, but without a copy of the contract you are pretty much up the creek. As far as the law is concerned, they may legally fire you, or put you on a leave of absence, and with limited exceptions they do not have to pay you when you do not work. Only someone who has READ the contract can tell you what additional rights you may have.

I'm not unsympathetic to your situation but there just is no way to determine what rights you have under a contract we have not read.

I suggest you talk to an attorney regardless of whether you have a copy of the contract or not, though; you may at least be able to prevent them from making the kinds of statements about you to the customers that you describe.
          *PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE*

I am not sure what you mean by "the legally correct answer." If the other side destroyed the contract, that does not necessarily mean that the other side is not in breach, or that OP is not entitled to damages for that breach. In a lawsuit, discovery may provide OP with enough information to show that the contract did exist, and that the other side did destroy the contract.

Mr. Pink

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
            *PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE*

I am not sure what you mean by "the legally correct answer." If the other side destroyed the contract, that does not necessarily mean that the other side is not in breach, or that OP is not entitled to damages for that breach. In a lawsuit, discovery may provide OP with enough information to show that the contract did exist, and that the other side did destroy the contract.

Mr. Pink
            Maybe you didn't read it right---
            the legally correct answer. A message board cannot interpret the terms of a contract that may or may not exist, and that may or may not actually be a contract. No one can interpret the enforceability of a document they have not read.
            Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X