This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I doing wrong? Alabama

I have had 3 jobs in the past 8 months and all but one of them I was let go because they said I wasn't a good fit. When I asked them why, they couldn't give me a real reason. Just that I wasn't a good fit. All of them have been receptionist jobs and I just don't understand it. Why wouldn't someone tell someone what they are doing wrong so they can correct the mistake? I'm tired of looking for jobs only to find out I am not a good fit. I HATE THOSE WORDS. If one of you let somone go because of this...do you let them know the reason why? The other people like me, because everyone I have talked to was amsazed that I was let go. An attorneys office manager let me go and the attorneys liked me. They even brought me coffee and lunch. HELP! I'm confused.
    Last edited by cbg; 06-25-2008, 06:31 PM.

I hope you don't expect us to somehow know what it is that you are "doing wrong".

"Not a good fit" does not necessarily mean that you are doing something wrong. But to answer your question, it would be nice of them to tell you IF you are doing something wrong but there is no law that requires them to do so. "Not a good fit" is very real but it is hard to quantify. (Yes, I know that there are those who will disagree.)

The law does not require that you be given a reason.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thank you for that super fast response. I wasn't thinking they were violating a law or anything. I am just puzzled. I guess I will keep looking. Thank you again.

Comment

It's quite unlikely that three different successive companies used "not a good fit" to describe not white and not male. Particularly since receptionist has traditionally been thought of as a "woman's job". If three different companies used that same description for the same kind of job, it's far more likely that her skills and abilities are not what is needed for a receptionist job.

But I agree that she is likely to receive UI.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

File for UI & look for other employment. Maybe one day you will hear, "you fit in good here."
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I didn't think I could file for the Unemployment, because I wasn't there long enough. I don't know what you mean about being white or male, but I don't want to sue them or anything. It would be hard to sue an attorneys office. Thanks though.

Comment

You people are really fast. Thank you. I hope I hear that Betty3. Maybe CBG is right that being a receptionist is not what I am a good fit for, but I like being a receptionist.

Comment

No. I don't understand what you are talking about. I have never been sent back to an agency. What does squeeze one or get off the pot mean? I don't do drugs.

Comment

Nevermind. My friend just told me what that means. Sorry. I wasn't in a comical mood. I feel stupid now.

Comment

OK, thank you.

Comment

You should file for UI immediately. If you have enough credit weeks and have earned enough wages in the base period (which, if you filed today, would be January through December 2007) from ALL employers, you have a good chance of qualifying for benefits.
                      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Please keep in mind that receiving unemployment benefits does NOT mean that the employer did anything wrong.

Comment

Yes, file for unemployment.

I understand that "not a good fit" can mean a lot of things.

If you are a receptionist dealing with the public, take a careful look at how you dress, how you deal with the public and how you present yourself.

If 3 jobs have said that, there is a common thread running thru there and you need to figure out what it is about you that makes you not fit well as a receptionist so that doesnt keep happening.
                          I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
                          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Agree with Morgana. I think some employers use "not a good fit" when there is a problem, but they don't want to hurt the person's feelings, since it could be personal.
                            Run down a mental checklist of what it takes to be a good receptionist. Here are some things to ask yourself (no need to answer them here).

Are you reasonably friendly & personable?
                            Do you avoid getting into long chit-chatty conversations?
                            Do you avoid talking about yourself and your personal life?
                            Do you speak clearly & distinctly?
                            Do you use decent grammar and vocabulary when you speak?
                            Are you dressing appropriately for the setting?
                            Is your clothing neat and put-together?
                            Is your hygiene and grooming good?
                            Are you organized, getting the right messages to the right people in a timely manner?

Is there anything about your appearance that some might find bothersome or undesirable?
                            What is the general content of your conversations you tend to have with co-workers or supervisors? What has the "tone" of those conversations been like? Is the tone different depending on what topics you are talking about? What signals do you attend to that can tell you how the other person is responding to you?

I have walked people through this process in the context of therapy, usually when a person re-entering the workforce after a period of disability is having trouble keeping jobs. But I still think it might be helpful for anyone who has repeatedly been let go for no clear reason.

If the issue is performance/productivity or attendance, they will usually tell you so. If it's something personal, they use things like "not a good fit."

Comment

I quit job #1 to take job #2. Jobs 2 and 3 told me I wasn't a good fit. I have a lunch date with an attorney for the firm I used to work for. I am going to ask him what the deal was with the office manager letting me go. I dress in pant suits and heels. Always have my hair and make-up done and wear deodorant. So I know that isn't the problem. Now that I think of it, I do talk about my personal life, but it is always when someone asks me about it. I don't volunteer the information freely. Hopefully I can find out more today.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X