This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do i have a case New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio

me and my wife who worked for the same company were fired over the phone with no reasons or explaination. our boss who was on the phone just kept yelling "your f**ing fired your f**ing fired to this day not one explaination or reason . we were hired over 2 yrs ago and hve never been written up or anything. what should we do if we have a case of wrongful termination.

Nothing in your post indicates that your former employer did anything illegal.
    “Be not niggardly of what costs thee nothing, as courtesy, counsel, & countenance.”

--Benjamin Franklin

Comment

A wrongful termination means that you were fired for a reason prohibited by law.

The law does not require that you be given a reason. It does not require that you have been written up before you can be fired. Nor does the law prohibit an employer from swearing at his employees (though good taste and etiquette does).

Unless there is far more to the story than you are telling us, this falls into the category of possibly unfair but not illegal.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Due to at-will employment, you can be terminated at any time for any reason not prohibited/protected by law (ie age, religion, race) or unless you had a bona fide employment contract or CBA to the contrary. It's just like you could have quit at any time for any reason.

It was also not illegal to fire you over the phone (& to not give you a reason). You can be informed of your termination however the employer wishes to do it. (ie phone, in person, e-mail. . .)
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X