X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help In Georgia

Hello:

I have resigned from my job in GA.
    I gave them three weeks notice. When I was giving my notice they were very friendly sayiong they are sad that I leave but they understood my reasons.
    I stayed late nights to win them few million $ contracts.

A day before I was leaving I saw an email that they charge me money for two reasons:
    1- They have prepared for my immigration application to get green card (Just prepared!!!!!)
    2- They have posted for my job vacancy as a rerquirement for being able to apply for my greencard!

Now please note:

I had told them I am not interested, verbally and in writing. I told them stop the process. They had asked me to supply them with some required documents before before they can post the job posting.
    I not only did not supply the documents but also asked them stop the process. This was months before my resignation.

In any case they deducted money from my last pay check.
    Now I ask for receipt they said we do not provide receipt!!!! that you paid this amount.

In addition they screw me on my vacation pay. It was written in my contract that I have certain amount of vacation days.
    in addition we had 3 floating holidays.
    I took off 3 days and asked them what should I put there in my tiume sheet. They said does not matter both codes are the same.
    now they claim i lost my floating holidays!!!! and they dededuct all those days from my vacation.

I usually am peaceful guy but these guys are taking advantage.
    In my contract it was said I have to go to arbritation.

Arbritation is my only option?

Any help that what they do is legal?

Or do I have a case.
    This is all happened in last year. And after few months I have not received any termination letters etc... even not a letter for my cobra insurance from them.

They really are pissing me off.
    Thanks for help.

You may contact Georgia's Department of Labor to file a complaint regarding the unauthorized payroll deductions.

Georgia does not require the payout of unused vacation upon separation and no State requires the payout of unused holidays or paid personal/sick time. If your contract States those will be paid out if you leave, then you will need to consult with an attorney.

Comment

Originally posted by Beth3 View Post
      You may contact Georgia's Department of Labor to file a complaint regarding the unauthorized payroll deductions.
      I wouldn't count on it. Georgia law is silent on the issue. If the deduction took the OP below minimum wage, then the federal DOL would take the claim. Otherwise, OP, you're going to have to sue in civil court, small claims if the amount is not too large.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

How can they apply for a green card for you without your authorization? This isn't something they can do without your consent or knowledge. You must have signed something.

Arbitration would be your only option if you have a valid arbitration agreement. You would need to see a lawyer to assist you if that is the case. With so many issues that you seem quite unfamiliar with, a consult with a lawyer would not be a bad idea.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by Beth3 View Post
          no State requires the payout of unused holidays or paid personal/sick time.
          California requires pay out of Personal Time (PTO) upon seperation.

Comment

Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
            How can they apply for a green card for you without your authorization? This isn't something they can do without your consent or knowledge. You must have signed something.

Arbitration would be your only option if you have a valid arbitration agreement. You would need to see a lawyer to assist you if that is the case. With so many issues that you seem quite unfamiliar with, a consult with a lawyer would not be a bad idea.
            A few months before I left verbally they told me they want to start the procedure.
            Their Lawyer emailed me and send a procedure that they require the following document etc... from me before they start the process.
            I replied please stop the process as I cannot provide this documents to you.
            But she kept sending me new request.
            I called her and I got shocked that without even those documents, they have started the procedure and advertised for the position (as part of requirement). She confessed that legally they should have not done that but they just did it to speed up thing.
            I asked her how much it cost, she said she would not give me further information as the HR of my previous company does not like that she talks to me and should talk directly to him only!!!!!

I sent an email to the chaior of HR department asking him why he has not stopped the procedure. He called next day telling me he is speeding it up.
            He even called my boss saying why I am not supplying the information to him.

Any way the day i was leaving the emailed me i have to pay the money right away. I went to pay it to company accountant but she said they owe me money even if she deducts those expences.
            She sent the calculation to CEO and was asking what she should do.
            The CEO was saying wait till he comes to office. I waited to 6 pm until he showed up, but nothing changed. he said accountant made a mistake and he has to review things and after i leave they would send me the calculation and money.
            Up to this day all i received was regulay pay stub showing some money was deducted as legal services from my pay check.
            now they do not even send me a receipt that i paid for that.

Any lawyer or recommendation?

Comment

As suggested previously, you need to consult with an employment attorney. We cannot make referrals.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X