This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not paid for used vacation time (ohio) Ohio

I work for a hotel in Columbus, Ohio. I notified management that I would be using my two week paid vacation time from November 15-29. The acting head manager agreed to let me have the time off for vacation. So, I went on vacation and when I get back my paycheck only reflects being paid for one week . I talked to the manager and he said that he wasn't able to put in the proper code for the second week with payroll. The manager did not tell me this before I left on vacation. He says I still have another week of paid vacation coming to me. The problem is that I do not want to take anymore time off and I can't afford to be burned for an unpaid week. I told him this and his response was that there wasn't anything he could do about it. This also possibly affects my health insurance coverage since I am barely work enough hours every week to be eligable for it. What are my chances of winning a lawsuit in small claims court against the hotel company for my used vacation pay? Thanks!
    Last edited by helm; 12-16-2007, 07:56 PM.

If it's in an employment contract or it's your company's policy to pay two weeks of paid vacation & you only got pd. for one, you can put in a claim with your state's DOL (or you can sue in small claims court).
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

So the manager is letting you go without pay for the second week of vacation because he can't figure out how to enter that info into the timekeeping system? That's stupid. Why don't you contact your HR rep and see if they can take care of this for you.

Comment

That's a good idea. Let's hope someone in HR & payroll is a little smarter than the manager. You would think the mgr. would have asked someone else if he didn't know how to handle the coding.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Just to clarify:

Your manager is an idiot, and hopefully someone in HR or Payroll will be able to straighten this out for you.

However, no laws were broken.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X