This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrongfull termination? Ohio

I was working as a delivery driver for a company on Ohio, the manager calls me in and fires me. Her reasons are that she couldn't read my hand writing, and the job wasnt working out for me. I did not recieve and paperwork for the termination, nor any writen or verbal warnings that I was not doing my job right. My manager was put on part time, as requested by her doctor, and she still only comes in when she feels like it. Therefore, she was not there often enough to train me. I had a training checklist that was only half filled out.

Do I have a wrongfull termination suit?

Also, there was no whitness when she fired me.
    Last edited by JJ (=; 12-07-2007, 09:17 PM.

No illegal termination here. Ohio is an at-will employment state & you can be terminated at any time for any reason not protected by law (ie age, religion, gender) or unless you have an employment contract or CBA to the contrary. It's just like you could have quit your job at any time for any reason w/o a contract to the contrary.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

A wrongful termination means that there is a specific law that was violated by your termination. No law says you have to be given any warnings, verbal or written. No law says you can't be fired when your training checklist is not complete. No law says your manager has to be there to train you before you can be fired. No law says you can't be fired because your employer can't read your handwriting.

It may or may not have been a good management decision, but it was not even close to a wrongful term.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X