This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fired today Michigan

The company I work for has been consistent in firing people. Every time I turn around someone was being fired.
    We recently got two new employee's one being a new head cook and the other being a new Executive Director. Both have been there under a couple months.
    On Monday the 16th of Oct. there was a meeting at 7:30 PM. I attended the meeting in which the Head Cook said that we were all changing to white tops and black pants and black shoes.
    I said to the Head Cook "I was just told to change clothes six months ago and had to go buy shoes and Colored Polos and Khaki pants and that I don't have the Money to go clothes shopping again."

The head cook said that I was getting paid Wed.the 18th and I can buy clothes then and anyone not complying would get fired. I worked Tues and Wed until 5PM. I got home around 5:30 PM on Wed. not feeling well and not having the money did not go shopping.

I attempted Tuesday on two occasions to speak with the Executer of the facility. I also tried to speak with her again Twice on Wed morning. My plan was to tell the Executive Director that I didn't have the money this week to buy clothes that I wasn't trying to be a problem I just don't have the money. My husband had open heart surgery and has been off work for months and has just recently gotten back to work. I am just starting to get a handle on our bills and I have already spent the money on those bills out of this paycheck. That meeting never took place with the Executive Director who has been there all of two weeks. I asked her face to face each time for a meeting and she agreed and would make time for me. That never happened.

I worked very hard this morning as usual Thursday morning the 18th. Went on my break at my usual time. Upon returning from my break the Head Cook told me I was let go as of now. I replied that by law I am requesting the reasons why I am being released in writing and to have it mailed certified to my home. She nodded in agreement. I gave her my fob ( gadget to enter bldg) she took it and followed me out the door. She told me to punch out I told her she could do that for me. Before I left the bldg. I said good bye to a resident and told her I was fired. I felt very badly for them. I really do love them and if I was to leave I would of liked to done it in an appropriate fashion. I was not given that opportunity.

As I was out the door I realized I had forgotten the folder I brought for the meeting with Executive Director. So I pulled in front of the Bldg. and another resident was there I asked her she could go inside and get my folder. She did and came back out side and told me they wouldn't let her have it and the head chef took it into the office and was looking through it.

Several employee's have called and are all upset too. They can't believe that I was fired. Everyone was being told I was fired for not following the rules.

This is the first time in my life that I have ever been fired from any job. Is it legal to change the dress code and demand that a person must buy clothes and shoes on there paycheck in two days? I feel a bit taken back because I feel I was good employee I tried my best to do my job. I also made several attempts to meet with the Executive Director. The Executive Director has been there all of two weeks.

I am so disappointed the Executive Director knew that I wanted to talk to her and she approved my firing before I could talk to her. She didn't even give me the time of day. I have worked there for over a year and a half. That didn't matter to her. Now I am without work and sick about not having any income.

Yes, it is legal. It is also legal that they told other people why you were fired.
    Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

Sometimes things don't seem/aren't fair but they are still legal as is the case here.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

fired today in MI

I agree with the fact that kindness is the greatest gift of all thanks for that reminder. I have loved and cared for my Seniors over this last year and to my defense they cried out today. One relative angerly told the Executive Director " I sure hope your rules were more important than the love, care and respect this woman showed my Mother." I can't go back but may they feel the pains of their decision because one thing I know is that they will never steal from me who I am.
        It is hard to find dependable, compassionate and conscientious people. I will miss the relationships that were built through my days there, I am going to miss those Residents because I truly love them and my fellow co workers. I have wonderful memories of the times we spent together. The New Executive Director and her Head Cook will never change that for them or Me!
        What goes around comes around and may the Executive Director with all her degrees and the Head Cook with all her arrogance be blessed with the same measure of compassion and kindness they showed me. I am going to take the time to spend with my family and on Monday I am out job hunting and I know there is a job out there for me.

Comment

I don't disagree, and you certainly seem like a compassionate person. I've had to deal with that with elderly relatives, and people like you are very appreciated by the families. I'm sure you'll find something very soon. Good luck.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

fired in MI

Thank you for your kind words. I just got calls from Residents that are upset and were told that I was fired because I didn't follow the rules. The Residents told them as a group

"Nothing I could have done would warrant a firing"

I will miss those dear ladies and gents.

Comment

Fired in Michigan

I was fired from my job on Thursday Oct 18th. When she let me go that day, I asked her to put the reasons in writing and mail them to me. She agreed to do so.
              On the same day the Residents knew I was fired and approximately one hour after I was fired and had left. The facility offers bingo and outsiders are somtimes present friends and family members. The Residents were very upset and stated they wanted to know why I was fired. The Executive Director told them I was fired and the reasons they let me go. She told them I did not follow the rules. The Residents demanded to know what rules I did not follow? The Executive Director then told to a group of about 30 people the reasons I was fired? Is it legal for the Executive Director to go into specifics of why I was fired to a group of people? I kind of feel torn because I love the fact the Residents care so much about me that they felt the need to know. But I don't like the fact that kind of personal information was disclosed to so many different people with different thoughts and backgrounds? I feel violated because I wasn't even aware of those reasons because I just walked away and asked her to mail the reasons to me. Now everyone else knows those reasons and I have no clue because I have not received in the mail the reasons.
              I guess that could be my fault since I was so in shock I was fired, I just had to get out of there.

Still I am concerned what kind of damage this is going to do to me? Some people will believe them and some people will believe me.

Comment

There is no law prohibiting him from telling others the reasons you were fired. It may or may not be the professional thing to do but it is not illegal.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X