X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question concerning email monitoring Illinois

Deleted..Thanks for the responses!
    Last edited by nfb77; 10-16-2007, 09:58 AM.

Originally posted by nfb77 View Post
    I have a situation I find to be somewhat unique (based on searches I have done) and would like some legal advice.

I am a member of a local church and was asked by the pastor to set the church up with a website/email etc. I did this for him and have acted as the webmaster, performing updates etc on the site. For a while, I was the one who checked the church's email in case someone were to contact us that way, until the pastor decided to take over that responsibility.

I decided to check the email again recently, and found some correspondance that he had made with another individual (via the church's email) that was not appropriate and I feel that the issue should be addressed. If any action were to be taken because of this, would he be able to pursue legal action against me? Say, if he was released and claimed damages?
    Did you have permission to check that email? You said "for awhile" you were responsible for checking it, which makes it seem as if you no long have that responsibility.

What was inappropriate about it?
    Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

If you were told not to check the e-mail anymore that could be a big issue. Are you still administering the website?

Comment

I am still administering the website, and I was not told to no longer check the email. I basically told him that I didnt have the time to check it regulary and that he could if he wanted to.

Comment

If it was not your responsibility to check the e-mail any longer, you may be getting into a situation where you shouldn't have read a private e-mail which the pastor might have thought was private. However, we don't know just how or why the e-mail was inappropriate - do you definitely believe it is something that needs to be addressed?
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

nfb77 - you & I were typing our posts at the same time but you got yours submitted off first. (I see where you answered that you were not told you shouldn't check the e-mail any longer)
            Last edited by Betty3; 10-14-2007, 06:26 PM.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Deleted.....
              Last edited by nfb77; 10-16-2007, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Personally, I'd stay out of it.
                I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
                  Personally, I'd stay out of it.
                  Agreed. He is allowed to tell someone that he wants to resign. He is allowed to talk about another person. Plus, you TOLD him that you wouldn't have time to check the email, so, in my opinion, by checking it, you were ONLY being nosy.

Comment

Was a law broken or does the email content place somone in possible harm? If answer is not stop checking email and forget it. Your version of statements about checking email an dPators may vary greatly as well. I would think he (Pastor of Church) owns website not you. You told or gave the assumption you would no longer be checking email

I was the one who checked the church's email in case someone were to contact us that way, until the pastor decided to take over that responsibility.
                    ]
                    This statement suggest you gave up checking email or was told to longer check it as Pastor "took over" this task.

I decided to check the email again
                    Here you decide on your own to check the email after being told Pastor would do it.

am still administering the website, and I was not told to no longer check the email. I basically told him that I didnt have the time to check it regulary and that he could if he wanted to.

Here spell it out you were told not to check email

Correct, I was never told to no longer check it,
                    Now you say otherwise one version is a lie or misunderstanding
                    Last edited by panther10758; 10-15-2007, 07:30 AM.
                    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Panther,

The OP's statements are entirely consistent. The first statement says that the OP was not told to no longer check the email. The second statement says that the OP was never told to no longer check [the email]. The only difference is that one statement says not told and the second says never told. Both statements mean the same thing.

Comment

Maybe I reading wrong but the following quotes tell me otherwise

I was the one who checked the church's email in case someone were to contact us that way, until the pastor decided to take over that responsibility.

Anyways wrong or not unless a Law was broken or what OP read places someone in possible danger I woud just ignore it.
                        http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

I apologize for my wording being somewhat inconsistant, but he never told me he would begin checking and for me not to. I simply told him I would not be.

I pretty much assumed that me "being nosy" is probably something that I should not have done, and I do not plan to do anything about this. Thank you all for your input!

Comment

I think it's a good idea that you don't do anything about it. It's not like he was going to harm someone, steal money - things along that line.

Comment

Originally posted by nfb77 View Post
                              I apologize for my wording being somewhat inconsistant, but he never told me he would begin checking and for me not to. I simply told him I would not be.

I pretty much assumed that me "being nosy" is probably something that I should not have done, and I do not plan to do anything about this. Thank you all for your input!
                              You should tell him to change the email password.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X