This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my sons father was fired for a dirty drug test California

I'm writing from California and my son's father was recently fired from his job for giving a dirty drug test. Can he get unemployment benefits for being fires for drug use?

Thanks

Originally posted by DIANARENE View Post
    I'm writing from California and my son's father was recently fired from his job for giving a dirty drug test. Can he get unemployment benefits for being fires for drug use?

Thanks
    Um, that would be a NO.
    Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

That would be a valid reason to deny unemployment benefits.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

However, I would advise him to apply anyway. While SOLELY on the basis of your post it would appear that he would be denied, your post is a little short on detail and it's not completely outside the realm of possibility that details you have not revealed could change the answer. (I can think of at least one sitution in which that would be the case.) There is no penalty for being wrong. The worst that can happen is that he will be turned down, in which case he is no worse off than if he never applied at all.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

So the situation is that I found out he was using drugs and his job is dangerous so I called his employer and told them, they, in turn, drug tested him and he tested positive and was fired. His work told him that they will hire him back in 90 days if he goes to some sort of rehabilitation program.

My son's father has enrolled in an intensive outpatient rehab and hopefully it works, he applied for unemployemnt and was given an interview date on 10/12I just want him to have some sort of income while he's doing this, I was told that if not unemployment then possibly SDI.......

Thanks

Comment

Only the state UI office can give you a hard and fast answer. The best answer we can give you is maybe.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X