This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• qustions regarding termination in illinois Illinois

i work for a vary large security company that contractss out there employees to other companys. i am currently away at college but do to not wanting to loose my job have been going home once a month to work a shift at my site. this month i had an issue with a new supervisor not doing anything about me needing to come in and work i would speak to him and he would say let me find a spot onthe schedual and call you back, but he never would. a couple of weeks went with this going on and i called my branch manager for his addvice because at this point i was over my 30 day limit so technically i was no longer employeed. at the time ispoke with him he informed me that due to something my site supervisor had said i could no longer go back to that site but was still eigible to work at others that were part of the same company as my last site. he also made it fairly obviouse that other things had been said but he didnt want to discuss it.
    (let me segway for one second) this supervisor of mine had been hired as a security officer almost two years after me. though do to my departer for college had risen through the ranks befor me. he had lied about actions my previous suppervisors had been involved with in order to get them fired so he could have there job since it all works with senority. since i was aware of this and other imidiatly terminatable offences he engaged in he looked for a way to get rid of me. he had me removed from his site due to a conflict of intrest. he told my Branch manager i was speaking to and giving information about my site to my previous supervisors. now i am good friends with these old supervisors but have never told them anything about the site. not to mention they have no way of proving i have any relationship with them.
    that was what i was discussing with my branch manager the other day. an hour or so after i spoke with him i called the client contact of the site i had worked for once on his cell and once on his office phone and left messages for him to call me. my client contact has essentally been my boss for the last 3 years and we had a good working relationship and he has stated on numrous occasions that if we have any problems we can call him so i did. while my conversation with him was good and he expressed satisfaction in my job performance he called my branch manager after our call to inform him of the conversation. ten minutes later my BM called me screaming and i do mean screaming that i was fired. he was loud enough that people around me could clearly hear what was being said. now it calling the client or client contact was a firable offence if its to discuss employee related matters. although i didnt relize that because the only policy that states it was signed three years ago and was locked away in my file.

irregardless i am terminated and can i know i can not fight for my job back, that i understand.

my offical reasons as written in my letter of seperation that i was friends with ex supervisors and was giving them confidental information, i spoke to the client regarding employment matters, and i called him numerous times, (five i think they embelished it to from only twice on once for each of his differnt phones) and finally for failure to follow the chain of command.

so my qustions are, can i win in a fight to have my termination turned into a voulintary resignation, considering it was past my 30 days of no work as is written in there policy. if i cannot is there a way i can make them re-word or delete for lack of evidence some of the reasons specified in my letter of seperation. also the reson for termination "failure to follow chain commaned i am unsure if i can do anything about. my chain of command goes to my lead officer, which i did not have, the site account manager, who was the reason i had a conflict at al. the policy states that if my conflict involves one of my supervisors to go to the next person in the chian of command. last in my chain of command was my BM. as i had already spoken to him and he didn't want to discuss the issue with me the only person left i could call was my client.

also anything else anyone thinks i could do please let me know.
    Last edited by steveo52184; 04-22-2007, 12:25 AM.

Your typing is so large and bold, and you don't use the proper format (capital letters at the beginning of sentences, that it is difficult for me to read. Sorry.

(Also, when you edit, add some spaces between paragraphs to make it easier to read as well.)
    Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

No, this isn't a wrongful termination. Your employer isn't obligted to allow you to come back once a month when it is convenient for you because of your school schedule. It is nice that they have been doing that until now, but it is not their obligation to keep you employed while you are off at school.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

There really isn't anything you can do in regard to the termination since it was not a wrongful termination or an illegal one. In Il. (an at-will employment state) you can be terminated at any time for any reason not prohibited by law (ie religion, age, sex, etc.) You could also have quit at any time for any reason if you wanted.
        Last edited by Betty3; 04-21-2007, 08:49 PM.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

your answering qustions im not asking

i am asking if considering my 30 days was up and my policy states the after that amount of time i am considered to have volentarily quit. so do i have any reason or recourse to try to get them to re list this as such and not a termination due to violation

Comment

I am afraid not, and it would not matter. Are you not getting unemployment because of what they are stating as the reason? I would think the personal termination would be, if you do not call in to offer to work within 30 days, and you did call, they just did not fit you in the schedual, so you did not quit, you were calling to try to work. Being let go isn't the end of the world as some think it is, it is not a black mark on your record that says don't hire this guy no matter what. It just means that it did not work out with that company,and alot of companies will hire someone if they like them in the interview anyhow, unless they were charged with something like theft, or sexual harrasment etc. Good luck to you!!

Comment

They can list it as anything they choose. You are free to ask to be rehired but nothing in the law requires them to agree.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
                They can list it as anything they choose. You are free to ask to be rehired but nothing in the law requires them to agree.
                This is true, I hope the poster can get unemployment, but he/she would have to be able and willing to work, which I do not if he/she can be with school???

Comment

He can apply. State law and the exact circumstances will determine whether or not he can collect.
                  The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
                    He can apply. State law and the exact circumstances will determine whether or not he can collect.
                    Thanks cbg!! We should change your sign on name to always helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by steveo52184 View Post
                      i am asking if considering my 30 days was up and my policy states the after that amount of time i am considered to have volentarily quit. so do i have any reason or recourse to try to get them to re list this as such and not a termination due to violation
                      You cannot force the company to "list" your termination as anything but what they want to do.

You can try to explain to prospective employers the circumstances. Some may see your side. Some won't.
                      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottB View Post
                        You cannot force the company to "list" your termination as anything but what they want to do.

You can try to explain to prospective employers the circumstances. Some may see your side. Some won't.
                        Good point Scott! If you are honest and telll them of things like this before the find out on thier own, they are more likely to believe you, because you acted like you had nothing to hide. Good luck my friend!! Are you close to done with school??

Comment

im a little more than halfway done with school. though i am working on getting a new job out here. thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by steveo52184 View Post
                            im a little more than halfway done with school. though i am working on getting a new job out here. thanks for the help
                            No problem stevo!! I wish you the best of luck in school, and in finding a job that deserves you!!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                            Working...
                            X