Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can there be black on black discrimination??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can there be black on black discrimination??

Okay this may sound crazy but I think this could be discrimination against me or the other employees. I am a African American student working at retail store in Louisiana. All my friends are white and roommates are too. I am not the stereotypical black girl. My black manager always passes comments about me not being a true black and I need to join the white race since I fit in it so well. She calls me white and makes me feel very uncomfortable when I do work with her. When she makes the schedule I am always working with the white assistant manager. One day, the other assistant manager, who is a black male, asked me with black customers in the store do I have a problem with blacks? I simply responded no I am black and then my manager told that I wasn’t and then told me why I wasn’t. She treats white customer like crape and will not help them. She treats me and the other white employee like we are crape also. On top of all this my manager has cause one white employee to quit, the other was fired, and the other (which is the other assistant manager) has been threaten to be fired in front of all the employees. She has threatened to write me up for things that I didn’t do or was not told to do. She tells me to sell more products or she will cut my hours but I am one of the top sellers in the store. She has cut my hours and increase other employees that are her friends who sell less than me and tells me it because I am in school when I am only taking one summer class. And has also drop the white assistant manager to part time with out notice. I don’t know if this is discrimination but it has to be something wrong??? At least someone tell what I can do other than finding a new job I don’t have time for that right now?

What are your company internal options to work on this problem?

There hasn't been any real action taken on your employment to violate any laws. If she were to fire, demote, or transfer you to a lessor position that can be shown to be based on your ethnicity or other protected class, then you could file a compalint with the EEOC.

Her making comments and treating others badly is rude, poor management, & bad customer service, but not illegal.

Comment

Can there be black on black discrimination?? Yes. There certainly have been cases of individuals being discriminated against on the basis of their race by someone of the same race. It's obviously not as common as when the individuals involved are of different races but it does happen. For example, if you were a black business owner and decided only to hire white employees for some reason.

I'm not as sure as Sockeye is that the situation doesn't constitute prohibited discrimination/harassment but it's difficult to say for certain. On the whole it does appear to me that you are being treated less favorably because of your race by the manager (who sure seems to have a huge chip on her shoulder.)

You certainly have the right to file a complaint of prohibited discrimination with your State's equal rights division or the federal EEOC. If I were you, I'd also be looking for a new job. Regardless of your manager's race, she's a real witch.

Comment

Caucasian reply

Black on Black; White on White. Of course. People are people. Color is only the surface recognition. Hearts are Hearts, attitudes are attitudes. Take the "color" out of it and see that this problem is true across the board because people are human and get caught up in whatever the current hype is. Become a bigger person than this level. Refuse to deal with this type of thing yourself. You will be honored and respected in the long run. If you are not, you are in the wrong place and with the wrong people. I have experienced this type of thing because of my husband. Both he and I refuse to let this affect who we are as persons and our personal integrity. I offer this experienced and heart-felt advice to you. Move to a different location, separate yourself from people and locations that think like this so that it doesn't rub off on you and how you view people. Life is too short.

Comment

Gosh, I think I know that woman!

She also works in many other stores around the south...I have lived in the south for 5 years and have never had any problems getting along with any other race of people until I moved here I considered myself not prejudice of any race. But I have been treated so poorly by blacks here I am shocked by the "chips" on all their shoulders. Both men and women. I work in a mixed office and some of the folks I work with have such a attitude they can't even answer a simple question without spewing hate ... so I know what you are suffering and there is something you can do about it. You don't have to be her victim to file a discrimination complaint against her...if you heard her talk about firing/laying off/demoting or otherwise perpetuating her hate on co-workers/customers in other ways you can file the complaint . All you have to do is be a witness to this behavior and be offended by it, check with a local labor law attorney and see what they can advise you. I suspect it would be to your advantage to seek another job in a an atmosphere where there isn't such discontenment. You are young and should not have any problem getting another position.

Comment

Or,
            I know a case of black person from Haiti being discriminaded by African-American.

Comment

Black on black discrimination

As a black director at a child development center owned by blacks, I was the subject of discrimination. I was always told to put the white resumes on top. Many blacks were paid low wages and didn't get raises. As the director I mentioned the dangers of these actions to the owner. I was ignored. I was sent home for wearing a knee length skort while the white teacher wore shorts of all lengths at least twice a week. I was eventually fired and replaced by a white woman. I had no write ups and they refused to give me a written evaluation because it was very close to perfect. The new white woman made more money than me and all of the request I made as a director that I was denied, she was permitted. I filed a suit against the center and need some legal advice. I can not afford a lawyer and I do not want to go into the court without knowing anything.

Comment

My advice to Black Director of Child Development

Because you are black you have many resources available to you, the NAACP, EEOC, State and local discrimination laws geared to the minority that should be enforced by local government. Find out what the state guidelines are regarding this incident in the child care industry. Go to the NAACP and ask them to refer you to a good discrimination attorney and then take his/her advice to pursue this further. I once worked for a rental/real estate company as a property manager. I rented to a young military couple who happened to be black and was pulled into the owners office and told if I did this again I would lose my job! Needless to say I didn't WANT to work there and wanted no part of what they were doing because it did not feel right to me. I quit the next day and reported them to EEOC and the local real estate commission. You didn't mention where in the country you are located but I am sure there are other places to work in your field where the people aren't prejudiced and where you could excellent opportunity. Take advantage of it and good luck!

Originally posted by lawgal
                As a black director at a child development center owned by blacks, I was the subject of discrimination. I was always told to put the white resumes on top. Many blacks were paid low wages and didn't get raises. As the director I mentioned the dangers of these actions to the owner. I was ignored. I was sent home for wearing a knee length skort while the white teacher wore shorts of all lengths at least twice a week. I was eventually fired and replaced by a white woman. I had no write ups and they refused to give me a written evaluation because it was very close to perfect. The new white woman made more money than me and all of the request I made as a director that I was denied, she was permitted. I filed a suit against the center and need some legal advice. I can not afford a lawyer and I do not want to go into the court without knowing anything.

Comment

Will everyone PLEASE STOP replying to posts that are no longer current?
                  The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

this post is current dear.....nov 05....

I was just notified of this post 1 hour ago and yours came a few min ago....so what are you speaking of?

Comment

I wasn't talking to you; I was talking to lawgirl, who reopened a post that had been dormant for two months.
                      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X