X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denial Of Position Due To Ethnicity California

Hi everyone,

Today at my work interviews were being conducted for new staff. My bosses assistant told me after the interviews that our boss had said the following about two of the applicants:

"I couldn't see that girls eyes, so no" in regards to an Asian applicant

and

"She's black, so no" about an African-American applicant.

Do I have any options, can I report this/sue the school for monetary gain?
    Any help or information would be appreciated.

You can report what you heard to HR or make a report to the EEOC. You have no damages so have no grounds to sue the company for any kind of compensation.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Only the Asian and the African American applicants would get "monetary gain" and that would only occur if they personally filed claims with the EEOC. (And no, you cannot file on their behalf.)

Comment

Re Denial of Position Due to Ethnicity California

Be careful going to HR too. Document, document, document. My husband is the only person who is not the same color as every other manager in his division. His new boss's first words to him (never had an indepth discussion with him before) were "I don't see you ever being successful in this position" and subsequently began harrassing, threatening, and otherwise making his work life unbearable. HR rep (same color as aggressor and all the others) is taking the aggressors side. Just because someone works in HR doesn't mean they know anything. In fact, they might be part of the problem. It gives the rest of us in HR a bad name but they are out there

Comment

Originally posted by MO Crazy View Post
          Be careful going to HR too.
          I don't think OP is interested in letting HR know about this manager's racism. OP just wants a money windfall.

Comment

Yep & since the OP isn't the Asian or African American applicant, the OP can forget the money windfall.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Just FYI, the thread you responded to is a year old. We request that unless you are the original poster coming back with an update, or have new information regarding the laws in play (such as that the law has changed) you not respond to old posts.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X