X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mommy2Many
    replied
    Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way but you are at best getting your information 2nd hand and from someone who isn't impartial. I've yet to have a poor performer or a poor fit for hire agree they were such. If they were, they would resign and move on. You are not there. We are not there. Your husband has every reason to perceive that he is doing just fine or better than the others whether his managers agree with that assessment or not. It might not even be concious but if after multiple assessments and opportunities to show he can do the job, he still isn't being given full reign, there is probably a reason.

His best bet is to have an honest talk with his supervisor about his skills, abilities and what exactly they need to see from him in the next 30 days. If he needs to seek more training in those areas he should ask about it. Getting defensive and resting on the laurels of what he has accomplished in the past for different employers with different ways of doing things and different expectations isn't going to help him. It will just cement in their minds that he isn't willing to adapt to the current company. The company appears to be going out of the way to give him more chances and opportunities to show he can suceed. Take advantage of that.
    I see what you are saying. My husband himself is putting a lot of pressure on himself which isn't helping. But being a trainer myself I see their method very disorganized. I don't know. Why would they put so much importance in the presentation for my husband when none of the people that were hired a month after him didn't even need to do the presentation AND got a lower on the test (he does know because they all talk about it and compare notes) and yet they all got a client? That's rhetorical.

At any rate, he is using this time to ask what it is they want from him and they are working on it. But he is also looking for another job elsewhere because he feels for whatever reason his presentation will never be good enough for them. Anyone who works in the tech industry who provide a service to those who wouldn't know better aren't going to know the difference. They (potential clients) wont know to ask the type of questions his manager is asking him during the mock presentations they would only ask what's relevant to their industry.

Anyway, thank you for your ear. If anything I'm convinced it isn't about his age. Please pray he finds something more stable. This job got him off of over a year of unemployment and us all off the street. Blessings.

Leave a comment:

• ElleMD
    replied
    Don't take this the wrong way but you are at best getting your information 2nd hand and from someone who isn't impartial. I've yet to have a poor performer or a poor fit for hire agree they were such. If they were, they would resign and move on. You are not there. We are not there. Your husband has every reason to perceive that he is doing just fine or better than the others whether his managers agree with that assessment or not. It might not even be concious but if after multiple assessments and opportunities to show he can do the job, he still isn't being given full reign, there is probably a reason.

His best bet is to have an honest talk with his supervisor about his skills, abilities and what exactly they need to see from him in the next 30 days. If he needs to seek more training in those areas he should ask about it. Getting defensive and resting on the laurels of what he has accomplished in the past for different employers with different ways of doing things and different expectations isn't going to help him. It will just cement in their minds that he isn't willing to adapt to the current company. The company appears to be going out of the way to give him more chances and opportunities to show he can suceed. Take advantage of that.

Leave a comment:

• hr for me
    replied
    It's hard to know why without being in that context, but it is possible that the others just picked the system up faster than your husband. It might not even be in a way that can be verbalized. It may just be in how they interact with the managers.

Or they may have higher expectations for your husband due to his prior experience/qualifications. And part of it may be that his prior experience is impeding him. I have found sometimes it is better to hire someone with no or less experience so they can be trained the way our company wants them to be trained. Sometimes an experienced employee brings a perspective that is actually negative due to that experience/knowledge and how prior employers "did things" or even as how they would do things. And even in your posting, your husband is comparing scores/questions/etc. like he knows more than those making the decisions. That in itself can become an issue and something I have seen when an overqualified person is hired.

It almost sounds like your husband is trying too hard and is overqualified.

At this point, it doesn't really sound like this job is a good fit for your husband. He doesn't have "something" that the employer wants to see. I don't really see it as an age issue because if they didn't want to hire someone his age, they wouldn't have done so in the first place! Because turnover and training costs are more expensive than just not hiring.

Leave a comment:

• GotSmart
    replied
    The company I work for hires many people, and not all of them are able to grasp the intricacies of the job. We have some staff with many years in the industry, and they are unable to deal with the clients (or other staff) as easy as others with out as much experience. Some have a gift, and others have to work hard.

What happens is people are all different, and it is impossible to figure out what makes managers tick.

Leave a comment:

• Mommy2Many
    replied
    I keep asking myself the same question. This is why we are so confused. That's also why I didn't put AD in the title.

The others who were hired the same day or after are 30 something. Age Discrimination is a stretch I understand that but all things being equal there is no reason why he's made to prove more of himself. None. He social with them. Is invited to have a drink after work. He tested better than the others who did the presentation twice at most or not at all but they got their own client and he's given 30 days?

Something just doesn't seem right. Shouldn't the requirements be the same across the board?

I guess I'm trying to understand why is there this HUGE discrepancy of what's required to get your own client. They seem to just want to make up the rules as they go along and it leaves me scratching my head.

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    Sorry, Elle - your post wasn't there yet when I started mine.

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    Are any of the other employees 40 or over even though they are younger than your husband? What makes your husband think he is being treated differently due to his age - they hired him knowing his age.

Leave a comment:

• ElleMD
    replied
    How old are there other employees? Age over 40 is protected but if he was just hired, it is going to be hard to prove that they hired him at 56 only to discriminate against him for the same reason and then fire him. If they were going to hold age against him, it seems more likely they would just not hire him.

Leave a comment:

• Mommy2Many
    replied
    I'm sorry. I selected California in the drop menu. He's 56.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    Let's start with what is the name of the state your husband is working in & how old is your husband? There may be add'l. questions later.

Leave a comment:

• Mommy2Many
    started a topic Being Treated Unfairly

Being Treated Unfairly

Hi. I am asking on behalf of my husband. He started working for his current employer December of last year. There was also another man hired at the same time and a few others hired a month after him. They all had the same circle of people training them. The company is a software company. My husband has working in the industry all his life and has never had a problem getting to know new software, including this one.

There is no "training program" per say they seem to wing it. There is no training material just the program itself that my husband has playing with getting to know his way around it. The one guy who started the same day has already been given his own client. His training has been not as hard as my husband's. When the other guy asked to see some documentation he was shown. When my husband asked to see some documentation he was told it's on the system and he needs to look for it. They both did mock presentations and my husband was grilled and asked questions that wasn't gone over in training but the other wasn't asked the same amount or same difficulty of questions. My husband got a higher test score than the other guy but has not been given a client. To make matters worse, the people who were hired a month after my husband only took the test and they all have their own client without doing mock presentations while my husband was given 30 days to "grasp" the presentation or he will be let go.

We find it odd and unfair that for my husband they are putting all the weight on the presentation which they seem to want to thwart his progress by asking many levels of follow-up questions, but the other don't even do the mock presentations.

I don't know if we can claim age discrimination since my husband is the oldest out of all of them but we can't figure out why he's being held back and being asked to prove more than those who have already moved on.

He has already spoken to the HR manager who was very nice and assured him that my husband wasn't just going to be let go without warning. That he would be given many many chances. She even spoke to his manager and he thought things were fine but over the weekend it was decided to give him the 30 days.

He feels he's being singled out for whatever reason.

Can you please give us some insight?

Thank you.
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X