X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discrimination against a sub contractor

Hi,

I am a sub to my contractor. I have not been paid for 11 months. The deal was I get to pay whenever he gets paid by his prime. But I am at least 4 months behind in payments that are already paid to him. While I have grounds to sue him on contract breach, I am wondering if I have any grounds or is there any law to protect sub contract from racial discrimination. The reason I am asking is that other sub contractors under this contract are paid and kept current and I am the only one behind. I am from a minority race and others are not. So, I have reasons to believe that there is a racial discrimination. Any advise would be appreciated.

Sorry but the laws governing anti-discrimination in the workplace are limited to employees, not contractors. Your remedy would be through the courts as you have a contract.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Employment law applies to employees, not contractors. As Elle noted, any
      recourse you have is through the court system.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

What kind of work did you do for this guy? I ask because often someone is called a subcontractor when legally they should be an employee. I'm not looking for a job title, but am looking for what kind of tasks you did.
        I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

If the prime contractor has failed to pay you timely for racial reasons, you could potentially have a discrimination claim under 42 U.S.C. § 1981 (“Section 1981”) which prohibits racial discrimination in contracting. You will need to consult with an experienced attorney to determine whether you have a potential Section 1981 claim in addition to a breach of contract claim.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X