Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Procedure for Age Discrimination claim only under EEPA North Carolina

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Procedure for Age Discrimination claim only under EEPA North Carolina

    Employer does not meet the minimum 20 employee standard for an Age Discrimination Employment Act (ADEA) claim. Employer does meet the 15 employee standard set by North Carolina Equal Employment Protection Act (EEPA).

    To bring an age discrimination claim against this employer:

    1) Does the EEOC need to be contacted to confirm the Employer is not required to comply with the ADEA?

    2) Is there any North Carolina Agency that needs to be contacted, or

    3) Can the complaint (for actions against public policy) be filed without any other approvals?

  • #2
    If the employer isn't large enough to be subject to either federal or State discrimination law, then there is no point in contacting either agency. You need to speak with a local employment law attorney to determine if you can bring direct civil action against the employer.


    • #3
      If the employer meets the 15 employees required for state discrimination
      laws to apply (seems it does per your post), the agcy. to file a complaint
      with would be Employment Discrimination Bureau of the NC DOL.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

      Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


      • #4
        Sorry, I misread. Your employer DOES meet your State's requirements. Then you file a discrimination complaint with NC's Department of Labor as Betty said.


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.