Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

California: Can employer require me to speak foreign language?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California: Can employer require me to speak foreign language?

I live in California, and work for a privately owned company. We sell goods to customers all over the world. I speak English and Spanish fluently. The customers are ordering in Spanish from our English catalogs. They are often from outside of the USA and seem to be less organized and take much longer to assist. As a result, I was written up in January for poor time management and inability to balance my workload. I do not get any bonus, perks, or extra pay for speaking Spanish or helping these customers. I am not the only Spanish speaking customer service assistant.

Can I stop speaking Spanish in the workplace to improve my job performance?
    Can they legally force me to speak Spanish?

If you're helping Spanish speaking customers, your employer can require that you
    speak Spanish to them.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thank you.
      This is disappointing. I am helping them, but they take longer to help. I'm being penalized by the extra time they require. I actually like helping the customers, but other people have told me that they get more money for being bilingual. I will actually lose money if I don't improve this year.
      Is there any laws in California related to this topic?

Comment

The thing is there is no law that says your employer cannot require you to speak
        Spanish to Spanish speaking customers. That's why it is allowed - there is no
        law against it.

If you believe you can make more money elsewhere speaking both Spanish &
        English, you might want to look for other employment.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thank you for your information.
          Last edited by Fidanza; 03-25-2011, 09:54 PM.

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X