This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bully/Descrimination Florida Florida

Hello everyone. New poster. I read through and saw some similar threads but I wanted to get individualized opinions....

Is there anything I can do about my boss?

Let me clarify. I work for my husband's aunt. It is a small company. Only five employees. I am the lowest on the totem pole (but also do the most work). Back in October we had another employee who was fired. When she fired this employee she told me that we would all work together until she could hire someone else. I buckled down and busted my butt to help and make sure things were done. Now she won't hire anyone else and it is expected of me. Back three months ago she was speaking about me to a co-worker in a negative way and I asked her what was said (this employee told me already). She reacted irrationally and screamed and put her hand in my face. Two months ago I made a mistake (which I owned up to and that was no harm no fowl) and she started to "speak" with me about it. I kept my cool the entire time and she started shouting at me and using profanities and even called me a B**** and said that I had no respect because my mother was a horrible person who didn't teach me any. I did not say anything nor did I retaliate. Up until this time we have had an open door policy that when you need time off or have a doctor appointment or anything, you just let her know and it is no problem. I have NEVER taken a day off or even called out sick, EVER. On the date that this happened I was so shaken up I texted her that I needed to take the remainder of the day off (it was already 1:00 and I work 9-5 "on the clock"). I asked that if it was a problem to let me know within 15 minutes or so. I said I would take the time away from my vacation to compensate it. She did not answer. I called her and she did not answer so I let her know that since I did not hear from her I was going to leave, I was not quitting and I would see her in the morning the following day. I left. I got a text later in which she said I would be docked the hours I left and I could not use vacation as it was not pre-scheduled. I am salaried. Clerical. I believe I am exempt. I do work massive overtime but I do not get paid for it as I am exempt I believe... So she docked my pay AFTER the fact. Since this she is now allowing my co-workers (all of them) to leave and go golfing all day and other things and they are not docked nor do they have to use vacation time. Today she had me go out with one of the employees to make financial document deliveries FOR THIS COMPANY and go to lunch with my husband (a client of this company) to speak with for marketing reasons. THis was her idea. When I arrived back I was told that I will need to make up my time. She is increasingly nitpicky about my work and is now implementing new rules such as no cell use (for me only) in the office, no surfing of the web (for me only) and no personal calls (for me only). All of these things I have done for the 8 years I have worked for this company and all of the other employees do but now I am being singled out. Is there ANYTHING that can be done? Unfortunately I am going to school for my RN and the pay is pretty good. I don't believe I would be able to find another job that will pay as well to help with schooling. Am I just stuck for another two years while I get my degree or is there anything I can do to make it stop?

Thanks for all your advice in advance.

Family and work often just don't work. I suggest you find another job. She may be a jerk, but I don't see anything here that's illegal.
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

I'm going to address only the time off and pay issue.

You say you "believe" you are exempt. What exactly are your job duties (not your job title)? And what type of business is this (not its name)?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I agree with Patty. I would like to know your job duties & what type of business you work for. It may be you're being called exempt (but really aren't) to get out of paying overtime for example (if you are working any) & for other reasons. Thanks.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I do typing, scheduling, dictation, transcription, quickbook... Etc.

Comment

Then your position is non-exempt and you MUST be paid for all hours worked over 40 in each 7-day pay period. Your husband's aunt is ripping you off big-time. If you want to pursue this, you should file a complaint with your State's Department of Labor/wage and hour division.

As to the rest of your post, nothing illegal transpired. She's the boss from hell.

Comment

Agree with Beth3, assuming the business is subject tothe FLSA (nearly all are). You did not answer the question about what type of business this is. That is important.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Beth3 View Post
                If you want to pursue this, you should file a complaint with your State's Department of Labor/wage and hour division.
                Florida has no state agcy. (DOL) that enforces wage & hr. laws. Options are fed.
                DOL, small claims court if amt. qualifies (up to $5000) or otherwise a "general"
                court action in a higher court. Court is probably your best option in Fl.

However, we still need the answer to Patty's question re type of business.

Thanks.
                Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X