X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT - Favoritism in lay offs?

Hello all,

I am on the fence about a situation with a CT HVAC/construction company. I'm hoping some of you can shed light into this situation and help me figure it out.

Company X has currently laid off a number of its employees, starting from November 2009 until now, and they have yet to be called to work. The same company laid off these SAME people between March 2008 and August 2008. They selected certain people to lay off for the second time, a year later. The people I'm referring to, that are currently laid off, are licensed workers. Some of the people that are NOT laid off do not have a CT licence or any lincense, at all.

The workers have been told that they will be laid off for rotation. They were laid off being told that it was only for 2 weeks and that they would be rotated. This verbal agreement never came to fruition. The rotation never took place.

Question #1:

Is it not a discriminatory practice to lay off the same people that were laid off the year before when there are employees in the company that have NEVER been laid off? It seems that management has put aside this one group of people that they lay off when the going gets tough while they keep their often less experienced and less qualified friends in the company.

Question #2:

Some of the workers that are laid off have huge mortgage payments to make and pay child support. What are their options? (I had assumed that the company would not lay off people in these circumstances. Am I wrong?)

Any suggestions would be helpful. Maybe there are some solutions that I'm overlooking.

Thank you.

What is your stake in this company? Are you an owner, an employee, one of the laid off? What is your position is what I'm really getting at.
    Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

I'm one of the employees that has been laid off twice in 2 years.

Comment

Thank you for clarifying your stake in this company, I was initially concerned that you were a random employee looking to stand up for those who had been laid off.

First things first, is it discriminatory? Well, lets take a look at the definition of discriminatory...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/discriminatory

Are you all (the laid off) of a certain religion, age, race or other protected group?

In regards to what do those who have been laid off do because they have mortgage payments? Perhaps apply for UI benefits or seek employment elsewhere that is more stable.
        Last edited by CatBert; 02-28-2010, 08:21 PM. Reason: Added stake info
        Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

I'm not sure I see anything wrong here unless the employees laid off were laid off due to a reason prohibited by law (ie age, religion, gender) or unless there was a binding employment contract or CBA to the contrary.

The co. doesn't have to take mortgage payments & child support into consideration when they lay off employees.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X