This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racially biased display on military base. California

Hi all, I am a civilian working on a military base.

In one of the buildings I pass through often, there is on display a poster provided by the ADL, supposedly of "racist symbols". Basically it's a poster with around 40 symbols on it, nearly all of them representing White racism. I think on the whole poster there may be one symbol representing Black racism, and another representing Mexican racism.

Since I'm a civil rights activist, this poster is obviously very offensive to me. It tries to push the notion that White people are far more racist than members of other races. It is also provided from a very biased source, the ADL. It's presence is clearly contributing to a hostile work environment, since I become very agitated every time I see it and reminded of it's racism toward Whites.

Do I file a complaint against the person in charge of that area where the poster is hanging? How would I argue such a case?

I would recommend a well-crafted letter of no more than 1 page to the base commander. Politely, but concisely, present your case in clear "every day" English, not legalese. Write and re-write as necessary to make your case powerfully in few words.
    Please post questions on the forum rather than sending me a private message or email. That way others who have similar issues have access to the discussion.

Comment

I am not very aware of how to deal with racism in the jobsite.

One thing I seem to remember is that the first step is to confront the person who is doing it, and let them know it is very offensive. It it's not taken care of then, it must be taken to the next level.
      Last edited by Cat Patrol; 02-09-2010, 07:48 PM.

Comment

I would go ahead & handle as Scott suggested. Others may have other opinions/suggestions.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

What irritates me the most is that it uses materials from the ADL, which is widely regarded as being jewish-Supremist.

Comment

Are you seeking guidance for how to possibly remedy the situation or simply a place to vent your frustrations regarding this display?
            Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Obviously my goal is to get this ADL inspired racist poster off the wall in my work place.

I came here seeking advice, thats all. My hope was that perhaps someone had experience dealing with the federal government. As we know, they use a lot of double talk. For example, the base commander sends out statements claiming he will not tolerate discrimination, while at the same time he permits "special emphesis" groups such as "native american" and "African American" to have their own activities on paid time.

Comment

Post #2 has your recourse. If that does not work let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Patrol View Post
                  I came here seeking advice, thats all. My hope was that perhaps someone had experience dealing with the federal government.
                  I have more experience than you could imagine in dealing with the military and the federal government. Yet, though you say you come looking for advice, you simply ignore what is given to you -- perhaps because it would take a little work on your part in drafting the letter. If you want to vent, vent away. But, claiming you are seeking advice when you don't seem willing to take any action is ridiculous. Nobody here can magically make your issue go away.
                  Please post questions on the forum rather than sending me a private message or email. That way others who have similar issues have access to the discussion.

Comment

What irritates me the most is that it uses materials from the ADL, which is widely regarded as being jewish-Supremist.
                    An, now I get the picture.
                    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

Actually, if you want to vent, do it somewhere else, not here. Our purpose is not to be a sounding board for vents.
                      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X