This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racial Discrimination Texas

I was the first person hired at my job. I am the only black person working for the company at this site. I was hired as a driver and was told that the owner would pay for me to get a class B CDL license to drive the bigger trucks, which means more money for me. He never did so I got it on my own. I have been promise raises that I never got because "business was slow" but the white men who were hired after me got theirs and they were hired on at a higher rate of pay than me. Is this racial discrimination and if so what can I do about it?

Do you believe you are being discriminated against/treated different only due to your race?

How many employees does your employer have?

Thanks.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Yes I do believe that I am being treated differently due to my race.
      There are 6 other people that work at this location. I am the only one that is of any race other than white.

Comment

This is important.

How many employees does your employer have IN TOTAL? Not just at your location. It makes a difference to what recourse you have.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I am not sure. They have offices in Arizona, California, Colorado, Illinois, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas and Washington.
          They only have one office in Texas, which is where I work, and we only have a total of 7 employees ( including myself )

Comment

How many total employees does the co./employer you work for have - not just at your location, thanks.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Okay, nationwide, do they have over 15 employees or under 15 employees?
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Unfortunately I do not know. The company is called Pioneer Packaging and as I stated they have offices in several states.
                Does the amount of employees in another state matter?
                And if so, how do I find this information out?

Comment

Oh, Nation wide, they most definitly have over 15 employees!

Comment

Then if you believe that your race is the sole reason you are being paid less and they did not pay for your CDL, you can file a complaint with the EEOC or the state human rights commission.

We cannot say one way or the other if you are right or not, but that is the route to take to find out.

Comment

If they have offices in several states, I would think they have over 15 employees total all states - need over 15 employees total all states to file a discrimination claim/complaint with the EEOC.

If you believe you were discriminated against due to your race, I would go ahead & file a complaint with the EEOC.

Comment

Thank you for all your help

Comment

cbg & cmarch, when I started typing some of my posts, some of your posts were not there yet but you got yours submitted off before I did mine.

Comment

Not a problem, Betty.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                            Working...
                            X