This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California...I quit!

The discrimination was so extreme, each and every day became tougher and tougher. I tried to sit with the CEO to voice my concerns, to no avail. They just went on as nothing was said. I've spoken to my direct manager numerous times, but she felt it's nothing she can do.

I oversee all the accounting for my company. Year after year salary increases across the company heavily outpace what I am given. Everyone that began on the same management level as I when I started salaries increased 500% more than mines. No exaggeration. Even the entry level positions increase was higher $ wise.

Because I see the numbers, there is always an excuse (promoted, more responsibilities, contract, etc). How is it possible to justify every person in the company except me the only minority.

I've never been written up, never received a warning, my office reputation is positive and hardworking. The only difference is, I'm the only minority.

And the excuse regarding contracts was just that. There were never any employment contracts in place for any managers on my level. Also the disparity in pay did not include VP's or above.

I know this kind of thing happens, but they know I see all the numbers. What sense does this make? Or is California discrimination and equal pay law so tricky in this area, it has given them the confidence to be so blatten in their discriminatory practice? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Discrimination laws in Calif are the same as federal, and at times even stronger.

Contact EDD for an appt with a Labor Board representative, and file your complaint.

Just be SURE you are able to document, document, document EVERYTHING you contend constitutes discrimination.

Comment

CAIW, it wouldn't be the DFEH?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
        CAIW, it wouldn't be the DFEH?
        That's what I have Ca. discrimination complaints would be filed with.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Could probably be either one...
          The California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) requires an employee to file an administrative complaint of discrimination, harassment, or retaliation within one year of the alleged unlawful employment practice. This statute of limitations provides employees with time to assert their claims. It also protects employers from stale claims, faded memories, and unavailable witnesses, and makes it easier for the administrative agency involved (the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or the state Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH)) to investigate, obtain documents, find witnesses, etc. http://www.elinfonet.com/starticles/5/5

Comment

I still don't see the EDD getting involved. It seems discrimination complaints would be filed with the federal EEOC or the Ca. DFEH under the Ca. FEHA.
            (EEOC or DFEH)

(unless I'm missing something)
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I'm with you, Betty3.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The local EDD/Employment Development offices are the labor board 'offices' where you meet with a representative to file the claim...it's the interview point...that's all. EDD isn't actually involved in the complaint. But you can go to that local office to initiate the compliant.

I don't think you are 'missing' anything...you are both right on the info you provide... and I apologize for any confusion.

FEHA is now enterchangable with FEHC one being the 'act' the other 'commission' enforcing the 'act'. Fair Employment and Housing Act
                The Fair Employment and Housing Commission promotes and enforces the civil rights of the people of California to be free from unlawful discrimination in employment, housing, and public accommodations, and to be free from hate violence and threats of violence, pursuant to the Fair Employment and Housing Act
                The Fair Employment and Housing Commission is a quasi-judicial administrative agency which enforces California civil rights laws regarding discrimination in employment, housing, and public accommodations; pregnancy disability leave; family and medical leave; and hate violence. The Commission engages in five primary activities: administrative adjudication; mediations, regulations; legislation; and public information and training. (FEHA, Gov. Code, ยง12900 et seq.).http://www.fehc.ca.gov/

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X