X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discrimination and Public Sector California

Good Evening:

I have worked in the Public Sector for eight years. First as a secretary for two separate departments, then going to the accounting department, where I have been since 2006. All of my annual reviews have been good, no write ups, etc. I've gotten along with all of my bosses (I've had five-2 retired, and two quit), with no problems. Just recently, the former accounting supervisor came back to work for the City after leaving shortly before I was hired. (he left over 10 years ago).

I understand that this individual was "Fired" from his last Public Sector position for reasons unbeknowst to me at this time. All I know is that the Management had given him the ultimatum to quit or be fired.

Anyway, the lady whom I have worked with has been an absolute pill from day one. I had spoken to my former boss many a times about her, and he had counciled her and me. There were times when my former boss and this woman would verbally fight as well. My former boss shared with me that when he had given her employment review, she was instructed "to work on being pleasant and helpful with her fellow co-workers." and "there is no need to check other peoples work" Needless to say, my former boss and this woman did not get along at all. So when it was found that my former boss was retiring, my new boss who was the previous accounting supervisor was considered a shoe in since he had been with the City before.

When the new boss came back, my coworker began her tyrades once again. And I found that my new boss was definately treating me differently than what he was with her. To the point where he wouldn't even speak to me or give me direction with regard to assignments. I called a meeting with him to find out what the problem was.

A friend at work had informed me that my coworker was seen going through my desk after hours. I have found a strange looking "Temp file" on my computer hard drive that seems to be recording any and every temp file for some reason, and three, when I leave the area e.g., go to the bathroom, have lunch etc., when I come back into the room the new boss is either at her desk talking to her or she's at his office door talking to him..once I walk in the two of them stop talking and return to their desks.

I have had a meeting with my new boss and one of the comments I had said to him was: "I am hoping that I may carry the same working relationship that you and _____ have." His response was: "I have worked with ____ before and it would take a very long time before I would have that kind of relationship with you."

I found the remark to be disparaging and discriminitory. Things have gotten progressively worse...I need this job, and enjoy my job immensely...It's the people that are making it a living hell. Since November of 2008, I have been documenting everthing that has been said or done within the department and am getting to my wits end.

Please tell me if you think what was said is considered to be discriminitory.

All employees do not have to be treated the same as long as you aren't discriminated against due to a reason prohibited by law (ie age, religion, gender).
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Age?

To add to my post here...The accounting director is in his mid 50's, along with my co-worker. I have overheard them both saying that they would like to retire within two years...(they are both fully vested in the Ca Pub Emp Retirement System).

I'm 37..and at this point, I am wondering if he would like to be rid of me, and because of my strong secretarial background and not the "bean counter" type of personality, that he would want to be rid of me to get someone more accounting oriented, and older.

Comment

There is nothing illegal there & federal & Ca. age discrimination laws apply to employees age 40 & older. (You're 37.)
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thank you for the information. I did not know that the Age Discrim. law is for over the age of 40.

Yes, I know I'm 37 didn't have to remind me of it.

Comment

The "Temp" file on your computer is more than likely the same one that every computer has. It is something that the operating system does automatically and is not something targetted against you.

It is not at all illegal for your manager to be closer to this former coworker than with you. It doesn't matter if he was fired, asked to leave or was given a royal send off. He is there now as is this other person who he used to work with and has a good rapport with.

It also isn't illegal to want to replace you with someone more accounting oriented. Nor someone older or with more experience.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by L.H. Earp View Post
              Yes, I know I'm 37 didn't have to remind me of it.
              You're young yet & be glad. At my age, 37 seems so long ago -- I'm past retirement age.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X