X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Masked Poster
    replied
    ruthless. Since facts and logic didn't work, I'm sorry you lack the capacity to understand the use of absurdity to try to make a point. But your response and other things I have seen you post make it clear to me there is nothing you have to say which I would consider worth my time reading, so I have set this place to from now on ignore all your posts and thereby erase your existence from my universe.

Leave a comment:

• Morgana
    replied
    I think the frustrations came when the OP refused to believe what he was being told by multiple people. If you read the entire thread, you will notice that it started out in a very helpful tone but got less frustrated the more the OP wouldnt listen.

Leave a comment:

• drruthless
    replied
    Das ist in der Doktor!

Well the great debate rages on, or not. We seem to be quibbling about whether or not this thing called a BLACK LIST exists. I for one because of the previously before mentioned reasons know that it does not. But what if the OP had made it clear that he was speaking metaphorically? Does anyone suppose the responses received would have taken on the same tone and direction that I have witnessed?
    I have seen words like, grand conspiracy theories, grand scheme, secret handshake, and arrogance used.
    And to the responder who made references to a “secret decoder ring, Saturns moons“ etc…YOU’RE in HR and that’s an example or your idea of compassion? I think the OP is entitled to mistrust HR and rightly so.
    I am at a loss for words, other than to say at this moment I am deeply ashamed to be associated with this forum, but its easy to be smug when one HAS a job isn’t.…..Der Doktor ist heraus!

Leave a comment:

• hr for me
    replied
    What's interesting to me is the decrease in the amount of reference checks that I get. When I first came into my current position, I would get them much more frequently than I do now. Personally I think a lot of HR/employers have given up on them because TOO many give just the basics for fear of being sued (that is date of hire/term, title, etc).

And honestly, we don't check as many as we used to either - but mostly because our new hires come through relationships with current employees or outside groups (church, clubs, etc) and because of that lack of forthrightness.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    Which is NOT the same thing as a secret blacklist.

Leave a comment:

• elrobotoloco
    replied
    Originally posted by Beth3 View Post
    Thanks, Morgana. Good to know.

The poster is convinced that there's a secret blacklist we all know about. If there were, that sure would have saved me a heck of a lot of time interviewing candidates who turned out to be a waste of time and conducting reference checks.
    What typically happens is a phone call is made by HR to the previous employer for employment verification. If the HR person at the previous employer happens to mention something very negative about the former employee, which may not be true, then that employee probably doesn't get hired, and never knows why. The previous employer may even be asked if the employee is eligible for rehire. At any rate, as long as that happens, the previous employer always remains the previous employer, and always gets the phone call. And people can say anything they want over the phone, therefore, there's little that can be done to break that cycle.

Leave a comment:

• Beth3
    replied
    Thanks, Morgana. Good to know.

The poster is convinced that there's a secret blacklist we all know about. If there were, that sure would have saved me a heck of a lot of time interviewing candidates who turned out to be a waste of time and conducting reference checks.

Leave a comment:

• Morgana
    replied
    Gosh, I must have decoded the secret memo wrong, I thought the confernence was on Hyperion! (G)
    And to all those HR folks out there..today, set your decoder rings to K!

Leave a comment:

• The Masked Poster
    replied
    Okay, I think its time we fessed up about the secret web sites we HR folks log into to check the national blacklist. Yeah, and also fess up about the secret hand shake, the magic decoder rings we wear to decrypt the hidden messages in these posts, and the secret recognition signals we use so that no matter where we go we HR types can recognize each other. Oh yeah, and about the secret convention we hold on Titan (that's one of the moons of Saturn) every year to discuss who we're gonna black ball this year.

Uh, my magic decoder ring is no longer working right and I need to get a new one. Anyone got the special code number I need to look for on the box of Cracker Jacks to make sure I get one which contains the decoder ring?

And if you believe the above, I happen to own exclusive rights to a bridge in Brooklyn that I might be willing to sell if the price were right.

Leave a comment:

• Morgana
    replied
    True story:

When I moved to this small and somewhat snooty town, I was told by those that "knew" that you absolutely needed to know someone to get hired and all the HR managers in town got together every Friday to decide who would be hired or not hired depending on whether you knew the "right "people or not.

And those that didnt get hired for whatever reason, were certain that they hadnt passed that Friday pick because they didnt know the right person. And they passed on to others that this Friday HR cabal ruled over the City's HR and they passed it on to other and on and on.

And no one would tell them why they werent picked, which meant that obviously, the HR cabal was keeping secret the fact that you had to know someone to get hired.

Well, then I got hired..in this City in and HR position. ( and was never asked about who I knew) And lo and behold, they must have cancelled those Friday meetings right after I was hired because there were no Friday HR meetings to choose who to hire. And rather than convincing people that the Friday hire meeting was a myth, all it did was convince people that now that I was "one of them" that I was lying about the Friday meetings and they were still going on.

You can believe what you want. I cant convince you, and no one else can either. I have been in HR for 21 years now and I have NEVER EVER heard of this secret list you think is out there. I have worked in California, Texas, New York, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Virginia and Georgia. No where did I ever encounter this secret information you speak of.
    I'm done wasting my time.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    You stand a better chance of finding a Wall Street hooker than finding anyone to even remotely admit that you might be right. Can you even begin to imagine the consequences if they did? NO ONE but NO ONE is going to put their head on the chopping block for you and admit that there MIGHT be some truth to what you say.

This implies, at least to me, that the posters here who are trying to say there is no such thing are lying to him. If that is not what you meant I apologize for the misunderstanding, but respectfully request that you be careful of the wording.

Leave a comment:

• drruthless
    replied
    I agree.

Originally posted by cbg View Post
    Doc - FYI.

I have never lied to you. I've told you things you didn't like, including bursting the myth about employment dates. But I've never lied to you.

THERE IS NO HR BLACKLIST.

I'm not saying I know why our poster here is not getting hired. It could be for any number of reasons, including negative references. But I can tell you categorically that it is not because his name is on some secret HR blacklist, because no such thing exists.

I can't prove a negative. No one can. I can't prove the non-existance of such a thing. But no one here, including the OP, has proven its existance either, except in his own mind, and I'd appreciate your not promoting the possibility that there is one.

I have a great amount of respect for you BECAUSE of that fact, and that you have never lied to me. Yes you do sometimes say things we don’t want to hear, you are one of a very few people here I can count on to know what they are talking about. However, please correct me or point out where or how I suggested that I agreed with the poster. I KNOW there is no such a thing as a BLACKLIST, but for something that does not exist I feel it is being referred to as though there is some kind of tangible object, something that one could hold in ones hand or keep on file for ‘future’ reference. If that were truly the case then there would be a more fitting name for such a foolish thing if it indeed did exist, it would be called..
    evidence

Leave a comment:

• elrobotoloco
    replied
    Originally posted by Eng&SafetyMGR View Post
    And that is EXACTLY how you are coming off to us with all these grand conspiracy theories.

I agree with cbg, I'm done.

Good luck tracking down the Illuminati and exposing this grand scheme.
    I'm coming off as saying there are EXACTLY dinosaur bones in the Smithsonian. That means that dinosaurs probably existed.

And doc is right. Nobody could EVER admit that there was any blacklisting going on because they'd be kicked out of the club. Anything less than a total and absolute denial leaves the door open just a crack. And, that door has to be kept shut and locked at all times, otherwise, it could be embarrassing for lots of people.

Leave a comment:

• Eng&SafetyMGR
    replied
    Originally posted by elrobotoloco View Post
    I knew a guy at work once that spent a whole lunch hour arguing with the table that evolution never happened, and that all of the dinosaur bones in the Smithsonian were fake.
    And that is EXACTLY how you are coming off to us with all these grand conspiracy theories.

I agree with cbg, I'm done.

Good luck tracking down the Illuminati and exposing this grand scheme.

Leave a comment:

• elrobotoloco
    replied
    Originally posted by drruthless View Post
    Remember that wall I mentioned?.. when your ready to stop hitting your head against it, I suggest you do as I recommended, start your own business.
    You stand a better chance of finding a Wall Street hooker than finding anyone to even remotely admit that you might be right. Can you even begin to imagine the consequences if they did? NO ONE but NO ONE is going to put their head on the chopping block for you and admit that there MIGHT be some truth to what you say. It was in this forum I was told that it was a myth that all a former employer when asked by a perspective employer can say is, yes you worked there and nothing more. They can say ANYTHING they want to. How are you to prove otherwise?
    During the McCarthy witch hunt of the late 40’s and early 50’s how many movie studios stepped up and said why yes, we would not hire that person because we heard they were a communist? Perhaps some did, I understand there really WAS a BLACKLIST. After all, EOE was yet to be a gleam in daddy’s eye. Unless you have the money for a PI and think you can lure Johnny Cochran out of retirement it’s time to move on……..Der Doktor ist heraus!
    When people say repeatedly and emphatically that something is simply not true, or simply not possible, and to think otherwise is crazy, it sounds like they're hiding something, or refuse to accept that certain facts are contrary to their opinion. I knew a guy at work once that spent a whole lunch hour arguing with the table that evolution never happened, and that all of the dinosaur bones in the Smithsonian were fake.

Leave a comment:

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X