Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blacklisted for life... New Jersey

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Blacklisted for life... New Jersey

    I'm a software engineer with 28 years of experience and a very formidable resume, which includes a very large patent. However, not a single company in the U.S. will hire me for a permanent position. I am certain that this is because, after I was terminated quite unfairly several years ago be my previous employer, I consulted an attorney who filed an EEOC discrimination complaint against the company. Long story short, I ended up firing the attorney for something he did, and the case did not go anywhere. That was 2.5 years ago, and since that time I have been blacklisted. I have interviews that go perfectly well, and I am uniquely qualified for many positions, yet do not get hired. On one interview I went to, the recruiter told me the job was as good as mine, however, upon arrival I was escorted out the front door within minutes and with no explanation. I recently interviewed for another permanent position with a company in Philadelphia and was offered a job on the spot, at a agreed salary, by the director of engineering who said I would be getting the formal offer by Fed-Ex within days. However, when I later contacted HR, I was told the company decided not to fill the position, which I happen to know is a lie.

    I already have two EEOC complaints in progress and have recently filed a third one. I have contacted numerous attorneys but none are interested in taking my case. I have also written to the Attorney General's office in FL and NJ. I currently have a temporary position, however, I went 24 months without being hired in any capacity, and was living in my car for a time.

    Blacklisting is illegal, but hard to prove, although living in my car should be proof enough. I'm certain there is some information available to HR people, which they should not have access to, which prevents me from ever being hired. I've already had a friend who has a company run a background check on me, which came up perfectly clean. Nonetheless, I am getting killed here. The EEOC is just civil service people and they aren't very motivated, and don't fare well against corporate attorneys. There must be something I can do to solve this problem so that I can get a normal job again.

    Also, I have a very minor disability, but one which gives me protection under EEOC laws. And, by having filed a previous EEOC complaint, I am legally protected from discrimination and retaliation by potential employers who do not hire me due to the previous complaint. The law is on my side, but it does me no good.

  • #2
    Did you have a specific question or did you just want to vent?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

    Comment


    • #3
      What makes you so sure that it is your employer who is blocking you from getting employed? There are plenty of people out there, particularly in your industry, who are finding it difficult to find work.

      I'd recommend a headhunter or job placement agency. If it is something that you are doing, they can assist with that. Even if there is an unfavorable review in your past, they can help smooth that over.

      Being fired or even filing with the EEOC isn't the end of the world. People do it everyday and remain gainfully employed. It would be extremely unusual for multiple employers to violate the law in exactly the same way. I'm not sure what information you think all Recruiters and HR people have access to that the rest of the world doesn't.

      Recruiters are used to employees who have been fired or left under dubious circumstances. Those who are loved and appreciated by all at work, generally aren't out there looking for jobs. What recruiters don't like are surprises. If you are saying you left on your own terms and the employer indicates you were fired, or you paint a rosy picture of your tenure there and that isn't the story they get checking references, it makes the candidate appear dishonest or clueless. The other extreme is true as well. If you bad mouth a former employer or make a bunch of accusations, it tends to be off-putting. Unless you die in your office at some point that employer is going to be your former employer and what are you going to say about them? I have no idea if you are doing these things but they are good to keep in mind and it is something to think about and be aware of as you apply for positions.
      Last edited by ElleMD; 02-06-2009, 12:39 PM.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
        Did you have a specific question or did you just want to vent?

        I guess my question is: Is there something I could be doing to solve the problem that I haven't already been doing? I've tried to find a lawyer, but to no avail.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
          What makes you so sure that it is your employer who is blocking you from getting employed? There are plenty of people out there, particularly in your industry, who are finding it difficult to find work.

          I'd recommend a headhunter or job placement agency. If it is something that you are doing, they can assist with that. Even if there is an unfavorable review in your past, they can help smooth that over.

          Being fired or even filing with the EEOC isn't the end of the world. People do it everyday and remain gainfully employed. It would be extremely unusual for multiple employers to violate the law in exactly the same way. I'm not sure what information you think all Recruiters and HR people have access to that the rest of the world doesn't.

          Recruiters are used to employees who have been fired or left under dubious circumstances. Those who are loved and appreciated by all at work, generally aren't out there looking for jobs. What recruiters don't like are surprises. If you are saying you left on your own terms and the employer indicates you quit, or you paint a rosy picture of your tenure there and that isn't the story they get checking references, it makes the candidate appear dishonest or clueless. The other extreme is true as well. If you bad mouth a former employer or make a bunch of accusations, it tends to be off-putting. Unless you die in your office at some point that employer is going to be your former employer and what are you going to say about them? I have no idea if you are doing these things but they are good to keep in mind and it is something to think about and be aware of as you apply for positions.
          I don't have a problem with recruiters and placement agencies. They work great for me. And they find me jobs all the time. It's just that I never get hired, even when I know that the manager intends to hire me. I get emails and phone calls all the time.

          I never badmouth the former employer. If it comes up at all, I usually say that something didn't go right, and it was out of my control.

          I don't really think that my former employer is actively having me blacklisted, I just know that I became homeless and destitute after being terminated by the company. They could however be passively blacklisting me. The HR people probably have a secret handshake between them for knowing who not to hire. I'm sure there's secret info passed among them. But, I've searched the internet repeatedly to see if anything bad comes up on me, and it doesn't, nothing that I can find.

          And, my job is not affected by the economy. It's aerospace and defense, and 99% of the money comes directly from the government, and defense spending is way up these days. Also, for 25 years I had no problem finding a job. I have good references, and a perfect track record with the projects I've worked on. I've even checked on my references to see what people were saying about me.

          No HR person or manager will ever tell me why I was rejected, unless they make up some excuse, which I always know is bogus.

          Comment


          • #6
            For the record; I have been in HR for coming up on 30 years. I have read more resumes than I can count. I have yet to have the former employer of any of these applicants tell me not to hire anyone; nor would I have any reason to obey them if they did.
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by cbg View Post
              For the record; I have been in HR for coming up on 30 years. I have read more resumes than I can count. I have yet to have the former employer of any of these applicants tell me not to hire anyone; nor would I have any reason to obey them if they did.
              I like to think it's like that everywhere. I'd also like to have an HR person, just once, to tell me why I wasn't hired at places where I should have been hired. The fact that they don't tell me why I wasn't hired, or they give me a bogus reason tells me that they have something they don't want known. If I knew the exact reason that I wasn't being hired, I could address the problem head on.

              Comment


              • #8
                There is no secret handshake. Who has the time to dedicate to something like that? Even if I couldn't wait for an employee to walk out the door, why should I care if year's later he is trying to get a job elsewhere? Frankly, chances are good that whomever is doing the employment verification has never met you or doesn't remember you years later.

                What have you done to keep your skills current? That is one concern I typically do have when someone has been off FT employment for any length of time.

                No HR person on teh job more than 2 days will give a detailed reason for not hiring someone. It hardly means that there is some sinister plot going on. It just means that no matter what you tell the candidate they either aren't going to agree, not believe you, or get upset by it. Sort of like breaking up with someone. There just isn't any explanation you can give that will leave them satisfied and in agreement.

                Have you talked to the headhunters? They should be able to give you some sort of feedback.
                I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
                  There is no secret handshake. Who has the time to dedicate to something like that? Even if I couldn't wait for an employee to walk out the door, why should I care if year's later he is trying to get a job elsewhere? Frankly, chances are good that whomever is doing the employment verification has never met you or doesn't remember you years later.

                  What have you done to keep your skills current? That is one concern I typically do have when someone has been off FT employment for any length of time.

                  No HR person on teh job more than 2 days will give a detailed reason for not hiring someone. It hardly means that there is some sinister plot going on. It just means that no matter what you tell the candidate they either aren't going to agree, not believe you, or get upset by it. Sort of like breaking up with someone. There just isn't any explanation you can give that will leave them satisfied and in agreement.

                  Have you talked to the headhunters? They should be able to give you some sort of feedback.
                  My skills are current enough, however, most employers want me for knowing how to work on older legacy systems which the younger people don't know anything about, and don't want to know anything about. And, yes, I have a 2 year gap in my employment. I don't hide it. Who cares? I'm going to start saying I just took a sabatical. Of course when asked on a job application about how the previous employment ended, I always indicate a termination.

                  And headhunters often don't even call me to say I didn't a job. Which makes me think they heard something terrible, and maybe they did. But they never tell me. But, one recruiter gave me a bogus reason as to why I didn't get a job in that I spent too much time talking about my website, even though the manager spent a full hour on the phone with me and said I was very talented. The only thing on my website is my curriculum vitae. Otherwise recruiters just say I wasn't right for the job.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    NO employer EVER tells an applicant why they were not hired. The fact that they aren't giving you the reason does not mean that anyone's hiding any blacklist from you - it means that the HR people are following standard practice.
                    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by cbg View Post
                      NO employer EVER tells an applicant why they were not hired. The fact that they aren't giving you the reason does not mean that anyone's hiding any blacklist from you - it means that the HR people are following standard practice.
                      The fact that I was sleeping in my car for the first time in my life tells me that I am blacklisted.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'm sorry to hear you're living in your car but it still doesn't mean the reason you aren't being hired is due to being on any black list.
                        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

                        Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You need to find someone - a friend in an HR department, or a PI or something, who can do a full background check on you, including calling former employers. If they're posing as a potential employer and are believeable, they will probably discover what is holding you back. The fact that you were walked to the door after being hired is telling.

                          Have the person run a credit check, a criminal background check, and reference check. See what comes up - it could be that company, it could be that someone with your name was recently convicted for pedophilia, or you could be a victim of identity theft. You need to get to the bottom of this.
                          I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Das ist in der Doktor!

                            I have a better idea.. go to the nearest wall you can find and beat your head against it! You will feel SOOoo much better when you stop. Except for the price of a few band aids you will come out the better for it! and after reading your post, you shot yourself in the foot, reloaded and then went back for more! and your surprised no one will hire you?? I was in similar shoes I was lied to, shorted hours and set up to fail. I went to HR, guess who they sided with. I tried to take on the nations largest provider of medical diagnostic services and could not find an attorney willing to take them on unless I could crap $100 dollar bills at will. In short.. they don‘t have to have a reason, EOE means NOTHING! They are required by law to print that lie! 28 years experience?? let me go out on a limb, but have you given any thought to starting your own business?
                            …Der Doktor ist heraus!
                            __________________
                            If electricity describes the movement of electrons,
                            does morality describe the movement of morons?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It never fails to amaze me. The absolute arrogance. "I'm so good, my skills are so much better than everyone else's, everyone should be falling overboard to hire me, and if they aren't, it HAS to be that my former employers have blacklisted me. All the other employers are so afraid of my former employer that they will do exactly as they say. My former employer, for reasons best known to themselves, have decided that I should not be hired and there is not a single employer who will go against them. There is no possible other reason why I should not be everyone's first choice of hire. It can't possibly be that I interview poorly. It can't possibly be that there are other people with equal or better skills. It can't even be that the arrogance I've shown on this board comes through in the interview and turns employers off. It HAS to be a blacklist. There is no other possible explanation."

                              Is that what you're telling us?
                              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

                              Comment

                              The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X