This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background check out of sequence Alabama

Recently I was offered a jo by an employer over the phone and I accepted the position. During the application process I had to fill out a background check form which I was completely honest about a conviction in 2001 and checked the appropriate box to indicate yes I did have a conviction and listed the county and date.

About three or four days later I was offered the job and thought nothing more of it as I assumed the offense was not related to my work, substantial time had passed and my refrences we great.

The other day I recieved a letter stating that the institution may not be able to extend and offer of employment based on the background check. This letter came about 8 days after being offered the job and at no time was I told the position would be contingent on the return or examintation of my background check.

I that time my wife resigned from her job and I took my name out of other job opportunities based on my offer and acceptance of this job.

How can this be fair or just?? Any help.

Thanks,

What is the conviction and what is the job? Did the background check form not have any sort of disclaimer on it? It is extremely unusual for one not to.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Alabama has no restriction on employers asking applicants about arrests & convictions & taking employment action on such hx. As Elle asked, what was the conviction & what type of job did you apply for? Most of the time it is indicated on the job offer or background check form a disclaimer that any job offer is dependent on the results of the background check.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The conviction was a burglary charge from when I was in college 7 years ago. It was a stupid fraternity prank that got me in a tremendous amount of trouble. The position that I was offered was a job as an assistant coach at a university. There was no disclamer on the posting for the job, as I have seen that on other postings for simialr jobs.

I filled out all the forms accurately and was honest regarding the incident. I have also worked in a similar positioin for 5 years at another university, however my criminal record was not an issue.

Comment

A burglary charge is going to be problematic, particular if it was also in an education setting and only 7 years ago. Stupid fraternity prank or not, yes it can come back to haunt you. The fact that some other employer was willing to overlook it is irrelevant.

Background checks are often not conducted until post offer or at least only done for the finalists as it is they are expensive. I'd be shocked if a college in particular didn't have a disclaimer on either the application or background check form. Those are practically standard, and especially so at an academic institution which tend to have much higher standards than your run of the mill employer. In fact, a quick google search reveals that it is the policy of the state universities to conduct these post offer and there are guidelines that govern what offfenses can be overlooked and which can not.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X