Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North Carolina - Equal Pay/Discrimination?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Carolina - Equal Pay/Discrimination?

I have been with my current employer for 2-1/2 years. My job duties and responsibilities are identical to those of my male co-worker of 1-1/2 years, however, I am paid substantially less (approx. $21,000). I have asked for a salary increase on several occasions, but I've been told they cannot afford to increase my pay because they have to pay so much to my co-worker.

My co-worker & I are equally qualified and experienced, the only difference being that we have slightly different job titles... but the work is the same, split equally.

My employer also informed me last week, that I am expected to work more hours than my co-worker, since he is married and I am not, so therefore I have no life outside of work. (He literally said that!)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It certainly sounds like it could be a violation of the equal pay act. Are you & your co-worker the only ones that do your exact job? (seems so) Do you know why the "slightly" difference in job titles?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

And how many people work for your company?
      Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Originally posted by cyjeff View Post
        And how many people work for your company?
        Employee size is irrelevant for the Equal Pay Act (EPA). However, the EPA won't address the number of hours worked because of your marital state.

How does your employer determine pay? Do you know why your employer is paying the male more? Did he negotiate his starting pay? Has he received any wage increases since his hire?

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X