This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discrimination/Harassment? Wyoming

I have a client who came in yesterday with some labor issues. I did refer him to the Labor Standards office, but he said that they were "uninformative", so I thought I would ask here to see if what I think is right, actually is.
    My client came here from Chicago. He was worked in an industry that is not really available here. My program paid for him to become MSHA certified and gave him the ability to work in the coal mines. He started out with a temp agency and was placed full-time at the mine. It was his understanding with the temp agency, and with the mine, that when his contract ended, he would be put on full-time with the mine. To my knowledge, this is what happened:
    He was having issues with a supervisor, and went to the manager of the temp agency. He said that he told them that he was having conflicts with the supervisor and asked if he could be put on a different crew. The manager said that he had no problems, and after his days off, he would start on a different crew. On his last day with the crew, his supervisor made negative racial comments (including using the "n" word) and pushed him against the wall, yelled in his face, and pushed on his chest with his finger. My client states that he did yell back, and the supervisor then told him he was fired. My client states that the racial comments were made on multiple occasions, but he blew them off. He stated that he never did say anything to the supervisor until he was pushed against a wall and yelled at.
    Since then, the temp agency has offered to move him to a different state to resume work there. My client is not interested in relocating, and has told them no. He is looking for work elsewhere, and is alright with the situation. He was advised to seek legal advice from some friends because they thought it was discrimination or harassment.
    Any advice? Thank you all in advance!

If he feels the reason he was fired was based on his race, then he should discuss this with a lawyer. If he was physically attacked, then it would be a matter for the police if he chooses to go that route.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

If he believes he was fired due only to his race, he might want to also contact the EEOC & file a complaint.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X