This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss Humiliates/Shows Favortism Connecticut

I've been as same job for 23 years in a hospital as a social work case manager. We mostly do discharge planning. My current boss, hired about 3 yrs ago very obviously picks favorites. That's OK, but in the process tends to humiliate and degrade me. She does not respect my seniority nor years of experience. For example, always picks someone else in department to orient new hires, or divide the work. She seems to enjoy this humiliation. If it is based on discrimination, how could it be proved? I am close to retirement, and not of her faith or ethnicity. Are there any legal issues here? She makes me feel like "chopped liver."

Originally posted by muffy View Post
    I've been as same job for 23 years in a hospital as a social work case manager. We mostly do discharge planning. My current boss, hired about 3 yrs ago very obviously picks favorites. That's OK, but in the process tends to humiliate and degrade me. She does not respect my seniority nor years of experience. For example, always picks someone else in department to orient new hires, or divide the work. She seems to enjoy this humiliation. If it is based on discrimination, how could it be proved? I am close to retirement, and not of her faith or ethnicity. Are there any legal issues here? She makes me feel like "chopped liver."
    There would be no illegal discrimination unless she discriminated against you based only on a protected category such as age, sex, religion ....
    It is not illegal to play favorites. There is nothing in your post to suggest illegal discrimination.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I agree with Betty. Nothing in your post indicates the boss's decisons are being made on the basis of a protected characteristic. You are free to speak with your HR rep and complain about her poor management style and abusive behavior.

Comment

Thought you were on leave and looking for a job? Is this the former manager who behaved this way?
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by joec
          Beth muffy has the entire story scattered in three different places,it's a little confusing. Hopefully the moderator can pack the whole thing into single thread.
          JoeC
          Ai yi yi. Muffy, if you want information that's on-point to your situation, you need to confine your posts to one thread.

Comment

I just noticed there is a Betty3 & Beth3 now I am getting
            JoeC
            Both have been posting for quite some time now.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by Beth3 View Post
              I agree with Betty. Nothing in your post indicates the boss's decisons are being made on the basis of a protected characteristic. You are free to speak with your HR rep and complain about her poor management style and abusive behavior.
              You can talk to HR but in many organizations, what you have describes is a supervisory issue and outside of providing a forum to vent, HR has little power to force a supervisor to "play nice."
              I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Elle....To clarify, I am on Workers Comp, now looking for a job, because I have been medically cleared with very minor restrictions. None of the restrictions apply to any kind of work I do, because I do not engage in any manual labor.
                Yes, it is my former manager who treated me with ill respect and humiliation. She would also be my new manager if my hospital will give me my old job back. Again, my old job is available and listed on their web site, with identical job description. It seems that everyone including this manager and HR are all in concert about not offeriing me this job.
                I'm sure that being on Workers Comp has something to do with this, as well as some other things, such as age, being seen as a liability, having cost the hospital much expense. By the way they are self-insured.
                So why do I stay?? I will be 65 in seven months, and will then be eligible for my pension and Medicare. I need my income and benefits until then. It's not easy getting a new job at my age, and what I do is very specific.

Comment

It sounds as though this manager never liked you. Is that the case? I'm not sure asking someone else to orient new hires amounts to humiliation and disrespect, but in any case, it does not appear to be connected to your WC claim as you have been off since that happened. It isn't illegal to pick favorites and it takes more than speculation that some protected characteristic might be the reason you have not been chosen when this has been an ongoing issue.

WC does not entitle you to return to the same job you left, or any job for that matter. If this was covered under FMLA and you are still within the 12 weeks, then you would be entitled to your job back under FMLA. If that is the case, please post back so we can advise you what steps to take.

I'd suggest talking to someone in HR. It sounds like they have not yet filled the position and are interviewing like they would for any other. You aren't guaranteed an answer on when they intend to fill the job and in fact, most employers stay mum on this issue but your length of service may help get you an aswer as to when they intend to make a decision at least. I would also ask what alternatives are available. I'm not sure I'd want to go back where you wre if you found the manager there so objectionable. Perhaps there is another position that would make use of your skills for these next few months.

Comment

I just noticed there is a Betty3 & Beth3 now I am getting
                    JoeC
                    Beth3 has been posting since '05 - me (Betty3) since '07. Actually, I picked Betty3 just to confuse you. :-)
                    Last edited by Betty3; 10-08-2007, 04:21 PM.
                    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=180216

http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthre...d=1#post919954
                      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X