This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this qualify as discrimination? Iowa

My husband has worked for a large company for 11 years. He has several times been passed over for a promotion. Every employee receives a yearly evaluation which he has always scored very high on. We are noticing that in the 'rejection for promotion' letter, the reasons they give him do not jive with what his evaluations say. One time it stated he needed to work on customer service skills more, but his evaluation 5 weeks before that gave him a high 5, on a scale of 1-5 and stated "XXXX has excellent customer service skill demonstrated by the following examples"

Also the past 4 times someone has received the promotion it has been people my husband has trained. One of these employees had only been there 6 months. Should we at least talk with a lawyer? It's clearly apparent he is given the run around why he's not getting the position.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thank you!
    Last edited by NEmomof3; 02-12-2007, 06:21 AM.

Originally posted by NEmomof3 View Post
    My husband has worked for a large company for 11 years. He has several times been passed over for a promotion. Every employee receives a yearly evaluation which he has always scored very high on. We are noticing that in the 'rejection for promotion' letter, the reasons they give him do not jive with what his evaluations say. One time it stated he needed to work on customer service skills more, but his evaluation 5 weeks before that gave him a high 5, on a scale of 1-5 and stated "XXXX has excellent customer service skill demonstrated by the following examples"

Also the past 4 times someone has received the promotion it has been people my husband has trained. One of these employees had only been there 6 months. Should we at least talk with a lawyer? It's clearly apparent he is given the run around why he's not getting the position.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thank you!
    Nothing in your post suggests that anything illegal has transpired. Just because your husband recieves excellent ratings doesn't obligated the employer to promote him and if the hiring manager feels he needs to inprove in certain areas, than thats their call.
    Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Yes, I agree. But that's not illegal. Your employer has no obligation to promote your husband nor do they have to give him a reason as to why. It appears the employer feels your husband does a very good job in his present capacity but they feel he's not up to the demands of the higher level job(s) for which he's applied. What your husband ought to do is schedule time to talk with his boss and ask for some candid feedback as to why that is and what he may need to work on or skills he needs to develop to make him a viable candidate the next time another opportunity becomes available.

Comment

I agree with Beth3 (as I usually do). Another possibility is that they feel him so critical to his current position, they don't want to lose him in that particular job. That would be a shame, but some managers think that way.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X