Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disability benefits after being unemployed??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability benefits after being unemployed??

State of Texas. I had long-term disability benefits with this job. Can I file a claim for benefits even if I am no longer employed? I have tried to find employment but due to limitations caused by illness I am finding it difficult.

Long Term Disability

While the definite answer lies with your insurer, probably not. In the great majority of cases, you may not claim long-term disability if you are no longer employed. The purpose of disability insurance is to replace income lost due to a disability. Theoretically, you lost your income as a result of a job loss, not a disability.

If you have a serious illness, you may want to talk with the state offices...specifically, the Texas Workforce Commission. You may be able to seek public assistance.

Let me know if I can answer additional questions for you.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X