This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On std finding new job in state of TN Tennessee

Alright so I have been seeking new employment for awhile now, I hurt myself outside of work I went to the dr. And they told me I could only do sedentary work, but I work in a warehouse and they don't have any sedentary jobs to do so I got put on FMLA and filed for std. I was recently called about a job I applied for before my injury about an interview, I went and now it looks like I may be offered the job. If I accept the job have I done anything illegal or that I am be in trouble for?

Nope, nothing illegal at all.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
      Nope, nothing illegal at all.
      Is there any chance I will have to pay any of my disability back? How do I quote my current job if I am out on leave.

NO. There is no chance whatsoever that you will have to pay any of your disability back. I wish whoever is perpetuating that myth would stop.

As Betty said, if you voluntarily do not return your employer *may* (not will - may) ask you to reimburse them for the health insurance premiums they paid on your behalf, but NOT your disability benefits. NEVER your disabliity benefits.
      Last edited by cbg; 06-19-2015, 02:10 AM.

Comment

If you receive disability income while being disabled, that income does not have to be paid back. However; if you voluntarily do not return to work at your current employer, they "can" require that you pay back any health benefit premiums they paid on your behalf.

I would just say that you are currently on leave from your current employer due to an injury & you are unable to do the work that they require.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
          If you receive disability income while being disabled, that income does not have to be paid back. However; if you voluntarily do not return to work at your current employer, they "can" require that you pay back any health benefit premiums they paid on your behalf.

I would just say that you are currently on leave from your current employer due to an injury & you are unable to do the work that they require.
          Does it matter how long I wait? If I am out for more than 6 weeks I am considered a "displaced worker" o still have a job with them but it's not my old one, and I have to reapply.

Comment

No. You meet the definition of disability-you are unable to do the job they have for you and they do not have another one available to put you in. I would say that the longer you wait to tell your former employer that you aren't returning though, the more health insurance premiums they will pay for you, and thus the more likely that they will want to recover them rather than just considering it a wash.

Comment

You noted it looks like you will be offered the new job. If you are & accept, agree that you should tell your current employer as soon as possible that you are not coming back.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X