X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability options for cake decorator. Ohio

Hello,

I have a friend. Her profession is a cake decorator. She has been working for a bakery for the past 12 years. She has recently been diagnosed with carpal tunnel, ligament damage, AND arthritis in her wrist. Before the diagnosis she was planning on leaving her job to try and find another bakery (her current boss treats employees like crap). Now she will need to stay to retain health insurance through this process. She has not been told by the doctor that she can't work yet or if she needs surgery. Both are probable, and financial disasters.

What are her options as far as short-term or long-term disability?

I am not sure if her employer offers disability.

Would this be a case for Workers Comp?

Any other suggesstions a person could contact for assistance in a situation like this?

Cake decorators don't make a lot of money.

Thanks,

Does her doctor feel like the injury was caused by her work? If so, then she needs to file a report with her boss and get the w/c process started. There is no state mandated short or long term disability in Ohio so it would be up to the company if they want to provide it.

Comment

Agree. Ohio doesn't have a state DI plan. She would need to have her own individual policy or her employer providing one to have DI coverage.

If her doctor believes this is a WC injury, then she would need to file & get started a WC's claim.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

One Ohio workmens compensation attorney blogs " Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, epicondylitis (“tennis elbow”), tendinitis, cubital tunnel syndrome and other repetitive strain injuries are also examples of occupational diseases that Ohio recognizes as valid workers’ compensation claims. "

Obvious he or she may be seeking business--but in your shoes I would check that point of view and your facts if you and your medical professional think it is work caused/related . .. WC is a state run program in Ohio ...file as you think best.

Comment

All states have enacted a workers comp. program.

Here is a link re WC Ohio for informational/educational purposes.
          https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Re...anUse-638.aspx
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Raster, there is no definite conditions for worker's comp. It is a possibility that the claim would be approved but it depends on several issues. If she has a hobby which could case these injuries then the claim would be less clear.

If she has been treating for a while and never mentioned her work to her doctor then that also could endanger a claim.

So the claim isn't a sure thing.

Comment

I also would never jump to the conclusion that any medical condition is work related until the employee says so and asks to file a claim. Every state has WC and in every state it *could* be related to the job but it is not a presumption in any state. No point in treating it as though there is one.

If one surgery or stint out of work is going to spell disaster, the smart thing to do would be to buy disability insurance. At this point, it is too late as no policy is going to cover her only after a diagnosis is made.
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The bottom line is:

This might or might not be a workers comp. injury - we don't know but "possibility".

There is no state DI plan in her state - she would need to already have her own individual policy or the employer has one she is currently enrolled in.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X