X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy Disability Question California

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
    FMLA can run concurrently with PDL. It is for 12 weeks and can be for the employee's disability due to the pregnancy and bonding.

Then there is CFRA- It specifically excludes pregnancy as a serious health condition, and so it never, ever runs concurrently with PDL, although it may with FMLA (if there is any remaining time under FMLA after the employee no longer needs PDL). So after the employee has their full release from the pregnancy, they usually have another 12 weeks for bonding under CFRA. (The only time that this would not be true if if the PDL expired prior to birth, then the CFRA could begin at birth).
    So if I have a non-complicated pregnancy/birth, assuming I take the 4 weeks off prior to due date, and then 6 weeks after for vaginal delivery (10 weeks of disability), the PDL runs concurrent with FMLA..is there 2 weeks of FMLA left, or will the 2 weeks "roll over" and run concurrent with CFRA?

Leaving me with a total of 22 weeks (4 before and 18 after)?

Thank you.

CrispyRN, you added your question to another poster's old thread. You should have started your own new thread. I will start one for you.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

This is assuming you qualify for PDL, FMLA & CFRA.

If you are disabled for 10 weeks under PDL, FMLA will run concurrent with the PDL. CFRA does not run concurrent with PDL although it may with FMLA (if there is any remaining time under FMLA after the employee no longer needs PDL). So after the employee has their full release from the pregnancy, they usually have another 12 weeks for bonding under CFRA.

If you case works out as you noted, you would have off 22 weeks -- 10 for disability under PDL & 12 for baby bonding under CFRA.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Just FYI: While off on disability, an employee should get Ca. SDI (state disability insurance) to get paid while off on disability.
        The PFL (paid family leave) pays employee while off on bonding leave.
        (SDI & PFL are not leaves but income you get when out on leave.)

Comment

Thanks for the info Betty3!

Couple more questions…

1. If I have any sick/vacation time saved up, are they required to be exhausted before disability and bonding time? Or can they be added on to extend the 22 weeks leave?

2. Are you familiar with the Paid Parental Leave Ordinance for County workers of San Francisco?

http://www.sfdhr.org/Modules/ShowDoc...cumentID=18282

This is the info they gave me. But it seems everyone interprets it differently. Some people sees it as an additional 16 weeks of leave, but the way I understand the language, is that it's a method of supplementation pay, so that with the disability and PFL, which both are partial pay, it'll help add up to 100%. But it does not extend the maternity leave, per se.

Comment

http://www.dfeh.ca.gov/res/docs/publ...s/DFEH-186.pdf
            This link gives info re any "PTO" (vac./sick time) & how it applies to PDL (pregnancy disability leave). See under salary & benefits during leave.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de8714cf.pdf
            This link gives info on PFL (how paid when on bonding time leave) & how PTO/vac. time is used. (There is other info in link also.)

The above is just pay when off - doesn't extend any of your protected time leave.

However, it now "seems" you are saying you are a county worker in San Francisco.
            I was not familiar with your link - PPL for county workers SF. It seems to be just additional pay to supplement other income you get while off on pregnancy/bonding leave.

If you have any questions about any of these "programs" (PDL,FMLA,CFRA,SDI,PFL,PPL), you can always contact your HR Dept. or the agency that oversees them.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X