Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Pressure to Change a position California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pressure to Change a position California

    I am located in California.

    I am a Human Resources Manager and have an employee coming back from maternity leave in early February. The employee works in a very large clients office. The clients manager is pressuring me allow the returning employee to be demoted to a position in their office at $3.00 per hour less and replaced by another of her employees. I have steadfastly refused. Now the client manager is saying the the employee has verbally agreed ot the change. I have refused to allow it unless the employee provides a written statement that she understands that she will take a $3.00 and hour pay cut and that she agrees to the change. However, the client is playing the "I am a very large client and I have a right to choose or we will go elsewhere." I have a feeling that the employee is being coersed but she has not said anything even though I have asked.

    Can anyone verify if a written statement will protect my company from any future lawsuits? This doesn't sound right to me.


  • #2
    What reason has the client given?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    • #3
      Originally posted by cbg View Post
      What reason has the client given?

      The client will not give a reason. It is a strange situation.

      There is no union or other contractual agreement other than the normal employer/employee relationship in California.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.