Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Injured in Florida, cant return to work yet. Florida

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Injured in Florida, cant return to work yet. Florida

    I have sustained an off the job back injury that is being very slow to heal. I do heavy haul trucking locally and have been out for 2 weeks with doctors notes.Because I have no health insurance and doctors draining my account, bank account says go back to work, but my health and doctor says its not time yet and I am afraid my job will fire me because I can not do my job in my current injury. Oh and FMLA does not apply to a company under 50 employees.
    My question is that if my job fires me because I can not perform my job functions due to a slow recovery, am I eligible to collect un employment?

    Thanks in advanced
    Last edited by truckingbear; 04-30-2011, 10:39 AM.

  • #2
    One of the UI requirements is that you are ready and willing to work. Saying on the one hand you were fired because you are not well enough to work, but on the other hand you are ready and willing to work (to get a UI check) is problematic. You can certainly file a claim with UI, but they will have a problem with this point.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)


    • #3
      You must be ready, willing & also able to work to collect UI. As DAW noted,
      you can file for UI if you get fired but you may not get it.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

      Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.