This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability Discontinued California

I have been on State Disability (California) since April 19, 2010, for cancer and cancer treatment. My doctor is keeping me off work through January 1, 2011, however my State Disability benefits are exhausted as of October 19, 2010. I read that State Disability is available for 52 weeks. Does this sound like a mistake? Can anyone provide any information? Thank you.

It may be less if you work history has gaps. Have you worked continuously for the past few years?
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

Hi Alice,

I worked continuously for more than 35 years until Sept. 2008, when my job was outsourced, and was off work until April 2009. That gap probably fits into the time frame the Disability insurance is calculated, I am guessing. I found out that I had cancer in March 2010, and was taken off work in April 2010. I was supposed to return to work November 1, however, my hemoglobin was affected by chemotherapy and radiation, and my doctor decided to keep me off til January 1. I was anticipating extension forms, did not recieve them, and as I was looking through my paperwork saw in tiny print that the funds were exhausted. Thank you.

Comment

You may collect up to 52 weeks of full SDI benefits, or the amount of wages in your base period, whichever is less.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X