This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother out of work due to injury..Help please! Massachusetts

My mother works for a company 32 hours a week (ofcourse right under fulltime so they don't have to pay benefits). She was on a dock and her flip flop broke causing her to fall and shatter her wrist. She needed surgery and the doctor put her out of work 3-6 months. Her employer has told her they'd hold her job. Now the problem comes in that my mom is 50 years old. She completely and fully supports herself, has no one else to help support her. She applied for transitional assitance short term disability and was denied because her only asset, a car, is valued at more than $1500. This is in Massachusetts by the way. How in the world is she supposed to make it through 6 months without any sort of help from any division of this state. She's worked for this company for 2 years and ofcourse because of 3 hours a week she falls short of them paying the STD. Please help!!

Shouldn't she be getting worker's comp?

Comment

It happened outside of work

Comment

Ah, that wasn't clear.

Comment

Are you talking about welfare? Massachusetts doesn't have a state disability program. I take it she didn't have an individual policy?

It's the same in my state; temporary conditions do not qualify for cash assistance. Only other things I can recommend are her church/synagogue, Salvation Army, food stamps, food bank.

And her children.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

She was approved for food stamps. I'm her only child and I'm dealing with cervical cancer myself, trying to keep my share of the rent paid is a hard task on its own. Food stamps however doesn't pay her rent. I just don't get how transitional assistance won't allow her to have a vehicle worth more than $1500. They made her have doctors fill out paperwork and everything stating how long she'd be out of work. She's not asking for it forever, just until she can go back to work and the doctor said 3-6 months.

Comment

They just have certain income & asset limits that must be met & the
              value of a car is one of them. (They don't count the first $1,500 equity
              value of a vehicle - over that they do.)

Sorry. She might want to check with the United Way & the other places
              that Patty suggested. (ie church/synagogue, Salvation Army)
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

http://www.massresources.org/massach...rograms_d.html

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2ag...ce&sid=Eeohhs2

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2mo...t&csid=Eeohhs2

http://www.massresources.org/

While I agree that the United Way and the Salvation Army, and perhaps even some churches may be able to assist, it is short term assistance AND speaking from experience...it is abused to no end!

As a former member of a Church administration, I can't tell you how many people show up that are simply abusng the system! It is sad, but it makes it next to impossible for people such as your Mother to get assistance.

I would turn to the local churches, not so much for food/money assistance, but for their knowledge of resources available! They, better than many, should have some idea of what local resources are available.

In Arizona for instance, there is an organization who distributes catalogs to the local churches that JUSt outline what services are available.

Good luck!
                Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

I suggested the United Way since they have many agencies/organizations that
                  they can refer people to. I was on the United Way committee where I worked.

She can certainly check with local churches also.
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
                    I suggested the United Way since they have many agencies/organizations that
                    they can refer people to. I was on the United Way committee where I worked.

She can certainly check with local churches also.
                    I have never had the pleasure of directly serving with the United Way, so I was unfamiliar with their precise resources.

All the best! Good luck!
                    Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

I, too, wish good luck to your Mother. There's really nothing more we
                      can suggest.

I wish you good luck also as you deal with your medical condition.
                      Last edited by Betty3; 09-18-2010, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the responses. I'll definitely check out the United Way.
                        As far as the $1500 for a vehicle goes thats absurd. Her car is 6 years old with 80,000 miles on it. She had the luxury of being able to pay it off soon after she got it with money from my stepfathers death. To say to her, you have to sell your car and get a horrible one so when you go back to work you have no reliable vehicle is completely absurd to me. I know state services are always abused, however, when someones walking around with a cast on their arm it should be pretty visible for her to be considered disabled. Ofcourse, its the ones that abuse the system that have no problem recieving assistance from it.

Comment

I don't typically advocate doing this type of thing, BUT...

Your mother doesn't necessarily have to sell her car to a stranger...she could sell it to you for instance, for $0 and then continue to drive it. Then, hopefully, in the eyes of the state, she has nothing.

It is not a guaranteed win, but, considering the circumstances, it may be worth a try. There are no guarantees, and yes, the state is being absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by CatBert View Post
                            I don't typically advocate doing this type of thing, BUT...

Your mother doesn't necessarily have to sell her car to a stranger...she could sell it to you for instance, for $0 and then continue to drive it. Then, hopefully, in the eyes of the state, she has nothing.

It is not a guaranteed win, but, considering the circumstances, it may be worth a try. There are no guarantees, and yes, the state is being absurd.
                            Please note:
                            Note: If you give away countable assets or sell them for less than they are worth within 12 months of applying for EAEDC, just so you can become eligible for EAEDC, you will be ineligible for a period of time. The period of ineligibility depends on the value of the assets you transferred.
                            http://www.massresources.org:80/page...&DynamicID=341

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                            Working...
                            X