This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off work due to broken hand, was it FMLA? Mississippi Missouri Missouri

I recently broke my hand and was out of work for 6 weeks. My employer never asked me to complete any FMLA forms. All I was requested to do was send in a doctor's note. Did that take away 6 weeks of my FMLA time? Do you have to complete FMLA forms for it to be considered FMLA?

Did you ask this question of your HR department?

Do you and the company qualify for FML?

Comment

I wanted to avoid calling the office and asking. I work for a small airline and the flight attendants are attempting to unionize. I am one of the girls heading that campaign and am not well liked in the office at the moment. My company does qualify for FML.

Comment

FMLA forms are not specifically required, to my knowledge, if the employer knows that the condition would qualify. And just because they don't inform you that the time off qualifies as FMLA leave doesn't mean they cannot count it as such.

But seriously, you need to ask and make sure.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Confirming that there are no mandatory "FMLA forms" that you must complete before the time counts as FMLA. If they are satisfied with just a doctor's note to approve the time as FMLA, then that's all they need.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

And, I might add that a broken hand that keeps you out of work for 6 weeks would almost certainly fall under the category of a serious medical condition.

I think your company could be in trouble if they <didnt> consider it FMLA.
            I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

You really need to ask someone (ie someone in HR) to verify if the time was charged to FMLA so you know. It certainly seems it should have been.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X