This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDI Question - CA California

My Dr. has advised me that I should go off on STD due to anxiety and panic attacks which are interfering with my ability to perform my job.

In the meantime, I have a WC case for an unrelated work injury that is currently pending the results of a QME. I suspect the WC claim will end up being approved though I am unclear on what the treatment plan will be.

I am a bit confused on what will happen if the WC claim gets approved while I am on STD. Does anyone have any thoughts if this could case problems? As a side note, the carrier is the same for WC and STD.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Ca. - You can't get SDI and Workers' Compensation at the same time, except when you are waiting for your Workers' Compensation claim to be decided.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Hi Betty, thanks so much for your reply. Yes, I do understand that I can't get SDI and WC at the same time, which is part of why I am confused. The WC injury in a physical injury related to a back injury. The SDI that my Dr. wants me to go on now is for pretty severe anxiety and panic attacks that I have been experiencing.

I don't know if you have any thoughts on this, but if I am on STD during which time the WC claim gets approved, I wonder how that would be handled?

Thanks again.

Comment

It will be handled as I noted above. You can generally get SDI & WC at the same time while you are waiting for your WC claim to be decided.

http://www.disabilitybenefits101.org...t/sdi/faqs.htm

(note #15)
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

additional info:
          SDI - for off the job disability, WC-on the job disability

http://www.disabilitybenefits101.org...i/program2.htm --

Your benefit might be reduced for other reasons besides part-time work. SDI counts certain other types of income like they were wages. Depending on your situation, some or all of the following may reduce your SDI benefit:

Commissions
          Bonuses
          Holiday pay
          Sick Leave pay
          Workers’ Compensation payments
          Military Pay

You can't get full SDI/STD benefits & full WC benefits at the same time even for different medical conditions. (I'm not sure if you are talking about SDI or another STD policy. Your title is SDI Ca.)
          Last edited by Betty3; 12-02-2009, 07:42 PM.

Comment

As Betty said, EDD/SDI will take an offset to your benefits. \
            IF you are witing for TTD to kick in, and receive SDI for the same periods...EDD will place a lien against any recovery you have in the comp claim. Generally, the carrier reimburses EDD for the SDI benefits they paid during that time.

STD... they will take a offset to any other income you may receive.

My Dr. has advised me that I should go off on STD due to anxiety and panic attacks which are interfering with my ability to perform my job.
            You are working with restrictions/light duty due to the work injury?
            Is your PTP saying your anxiety attacks are even slightly related to the work injury?
            The anxiety could be a compensable consequence to the org work injury, and treatment the liability to the employER/carrier.
            IF that is the case/yes... you would not be eligible for SDI, but for the waiting period, and this could/would also affect the STD qualification.

EDD/SDI info here http://www.edd.ca.gov/disability/
            Fact sheets for IW's are here http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/InjuredWorker.htm

Comment

Wait a minute. Are you currently working? WC/TTD would only kick in if the reason you are unable to work is because of the severity of the injury you suffered as part of the work injury. If you are currently able to work on account of your back, TTD would never be paid. Having an approved claim does not mean that any time off is covered by TTD. It just means that the medical bills are covered. TTD is a separate issue and if you are currently working or not working because of an unrelated medical condition, it never enters the picture.
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X