Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

FMLA Florida

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FMLA Florida

    I have an employee that qualifies for FMLA. She is scheduled for back surgery tomorrow and according to the doctor, she will need to be out for at least 3 months. She has missed a lot of time prior to her surgery due to the back problems she is having. All covered under FMLA. With this being back problems, will we have any issues w/ADA if she is unable to return to work after missing 12 weeks and we have to let her go? If she turns in doctor's orders to be out longer than 12 weeks, are we required to grant that time off to avoid ADA issues even though FMLA only covers 12 weeks?

    Thanks for your help.

  • #2
    After she uses up her 12 weeks of FMLA, her job is no longer protected. However, you do have to consider whether allowing add'l. time off under the ADA would be a reasonable accommodation.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


    • #3
      You understand, don't you, that she is entitled to 12 weeks of FMLA per 12 month period and not 12 weeks per condition? How much FMLA has she already used in the 12 months by which you track FMLA?
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.