Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Repeat Pregnancy Leave Texas

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Repeat Pregnancy Leave Texas

    Hello, I have just returned from my 6 weeks paid leave of absence because I just had a baby. However, I just found out that I am pregnant again but have only been back to work for 2 weeks. Would I still qualify for a paid leave of absence again from my work or would I not qualify for it because I have already taken one this year? I started working in Sept. 2008 so I didn't qualify for FMLA with my first pregnancy (because I hadn't been employeed with my job for 12 months yet) so I had to use my short term disablilty and take a LOA from work. Could my job fire me or not allow me to take of leave of absence because this is my second pregancy back to back?

    Last edited by mrscarr09; 08-17-2009, 06:57 AM.

  • #2
    You will become eligible for FMLA on your anniversary date, 2009. The employer cannot deny you FMLA leave, regardless of non-FMLA leave you had taken before you became eligible. However, you do need to meet the requirement of working 1,250 hours in the previous 12 months. With your leave already taken, will you meet that requirement?
    Last edited by Pattymd; 08-17-2009, 07:25 AM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    • #3
      Texas is not one of the two states that require paid maternity leave. Whether you qualify for paid leave depends entirely on your employer's policies. But with regards to unpaid leave, see Patty's answer.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.