This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emergency surgery requiring doctors notes California

On March 5, 2009 I left work and ended up in the emergency room and had an emergency appendectomy on March 6, 2009. The on call surgeon performed the surgery and signed the paperwork to release me from the hospital on March 7, 2009.

I returned to work on March 23, 2009. When I returned to work I was asked about STD but as I took PTO for part of the time off, I didn't apply for STD as the payout would not be very much-I would have to pay for the forms to be filled out by the surgeon, take a day off work to go see the surgeon to fill out the forms and the percentage STD pays was not beneficial for all this.

Anyway-when I returned to work, I was asked for a letter allowing me to return to work. I called the surgeon and was told they would fax it to my HR department. The original HR lady was laid off on April 1 and I hadn't heard anything more about this until June 1, 2009 when the remaining HR lady said they didn't have it.

After many phone calls, I got a form letter stating I was released for work and a date, nothing else. HR originally said this would be fine. Now they have changed their mind and I have to get a letter stating I had emergency surgery and was under their care from DATE to DATE.

While nobody will say specifically that I will be fired for not getting this...it was stated that this is "a requirement for continued employment".

My ultimate question is this...if I don't get this from the surgeon's office, can they legally fire me?
    Heidi

My ultimate question is this...if I don't get this from the surgeon's office, can they legally fire me? Yes. Your employer is entitled to verification of the reason you were off work and that you were under a doctor's care during that time.

I don't know why the surgeon's office should make it so difficult for patients to get this info - STD forms completed, return to work release, etc. I imagine the majority of the surgeon's patients need this sort of paperwork. It should be routine for doctor's clerical staff. After all, they fill out nearly all this paperwork. All the doctor pretty much has to do is sign it.

Comment

Yes, your employer can fire you if you don't get the necessary forms they require.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I don't see the problem. Boss wants the letter, get it. Boss wants the details, get it. BUT....who is paying for the medical? Some of the details are none of the boss's business if they aren't covering the medical. But your doctor should know this and know what to give them.
        I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
        Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
        I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
        Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X